• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cleaning Your Gear

Discussion in 'General Scuba Equipment Discussions' started by KierenConnell, Apr 14, 2007.

1. davidebert

davidebert Garibaldi

I am a commercial diver, and work in brown river water and foul marina water. When possible, I slosh/rinse my suit in a swimming pool, then hang to dry. I also make up a suit-stink squirt of my own, cheaper than the commercial stuff. I liberally squirt it in the suit while on me as soon as I get out of the water, then rinse out however I can.
    To make it, I go to a discount vitamin store and buy 4 ounce bottles of essential oils: lavender, camphor, eucolyptus, and tea tree oil. The tea tree oil is important- it kills molds and mildew. (It is a medicine for athletes foot.) I buy menthol crystals by the 8 oz container from a pharmacist- special order, no prescription. Then, per batch, I mix ten drops of each oil and 1 tsp of menthol crystals into a pint of wintergreen or orange rubbing alcohol. (I store this mixture in a flip/snout bottle from witch hazel from the drugstore) The jar of menthol has lasted for several years so far- the oils last many months before running out. Although expensive to get started, this anti-stink remedy is cheap in the long run. I use 1 pint per week. As long as you keep the medicinals; alcohol, menthol, camphor and tea tree oil, you can change the type and amount of scent oils to suit yourself. My old hippy girlfriend uses a ton of patchouli oil as a scent. I've used anise, peppermint and clove oil- it smells like spice gum drops. You can go with jasmine, rose- check out the range of essential oils available. Just make sure you buy essential oils in bulk- at least 4 oz, because it is expensive in the teeny bottles. "NOW" brand is one brand available in 4 oz bottles at discount vitamin stores.

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi David, welcome to SB. Interesting post. Hope you'll share more...!!

3. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Here is what we do. It has served us well so far. We dive a mix of salt and fresh, probably 80% salt.

What the OP described is way beyond necessary. Take all that time and go dive!

Pete

4. cdiver2

cdiver2 Great White

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I use a 55 gallon drum for two divers equipment First all camera gear go's in then fill with water from a garden hose, the swirling motion as it fills helps get the salt out of the tiny places, at least a one hour soak. Next I do the regs. Then I add a small amount of bleach*, a quick rinse of mask,snorkels and fins. Third BC's and suites, stay over night, the next day I use the garden hose on the regs and the inside of the BC's.

* I started using a small amount of bleach after reading about wet suites being able to transmit bacteria from one body of water to another even after a good FW rinse.

5. Stogie8

Stogie8 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I'll rinse everything with freshwater as soon as I get back to the dock, then once I get home I will fill up the bath tub and let everything soak for 20-30 minutes. I let everything air dry and that's it. I have been doing it this way for 15 years and have never had any problems and my gear is in great shape.

6. brdr882

brdr882 Angel Fish

I have one of those big 50 gallon blue plastic oil drums. I fill it up part way with water, put in wetsuit cleaner, hose everything off first and let it soak for a few hours stirring it up every now and then. Then i rinse everything off and let it soak in fresh for a little while. Granted I only do that after a salt water dive or every couple of weeks when i feel motivated. Usually its just a rinsing with the hose.

7. Crazy Fingers

Crazy Fingers Barracuda

That's crazy... I would hate to see your water and sewer bill if you went diving as often as I do.

I don't rinse at all if I dive in the springs, and if I dive in saltwater I'll usually put the BC and wetsuit in warmish water for half an hour. The 1st stage gets its dustcap on and a light rinse under the faucet. The 2nd stages & computer dangle into the water. I don't do anythign to my fins.

8. D_B

D_B Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Wow .. 15 tubs of water :confused: way too much water :shakehead
    ... and your not helping anything by using so much, soaking it a long time is better... if you like, change the water once if you feel it's necessary

I am a fan of the cheap shampoo trick and maybe a shot of conditioner too :blinking:
    I fill bathtub with warm water first - Then add shampoo .. unless you want a bubble bath :wink: ... I do my boots last as they usually have some sand or grass left on them
    I use silicone spray on zippers & smooth skin seals on wetsuit & boots, on knife, and inside fin pockets so fins go on easier over boots (note: do NOT spray underside!)
    ... and sink the stink, only when boots smell like feet :11:

9. Steve_Dives

Steve_Dives Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Kieren! One of the guys (actually, the other guy) in my OW class was named Kieren. I forget where in the UK he was from.

After salt water, I use the rinse buckets at the dive site. And I dunk and lift the gear in and out several times.

Freshwater dives just get a hosing off.

I'll take the sea fairing gear to the pool where it gets a couple hours use per week. I've tried to schedule dives in freshwater immediately after completing the salty dives. What better way to rinse out the salt than to dive the gear in fresh water???

Welcome to diving and ScubaBoard. Keep learning and improving your skills.

10. fisherdvm

fisherdvm Solo Diver

I like how Pete is obsessive compulsive about rinsing the BC, and flushing the inflator valve last with the cleanest water. I always did that, but never knew if the water would damage the inside of the valve. But clean water should not corrode the brass in that valve, my guess.