Cleaning Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KierenConnell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Do you clean your gear? If so how? For how long?

I soak all my gear in a bath for about 3 days changing the water around 5 times a day, then hang it out on the line.

What about you?

KierenConnell

After diving, I hang it up to dry. This is the joy of freshwater.

3 days, 5 times a day seems like a bit much. You might want to save some of that water for the fishies. :D

3 days, 5 times a day... whew...
I soak the BCs and suits for a couple of hours in fresh with equipment wash then *very* thoroughly rinse (usually in the shower). I also flood the wings with fresh, swish, drain...

The regs and masks just get a dip...

KierenConnell:
.............I soak all my gear in a bath for about 3 days changing the water around 5 times a day, ........
what the...... we have a drought here (dont you in SA??) so no way would i waste so much water (unless you collect and recycle then snaps to you)

we have a bathtub near our lockup with water faucet

wash gear in fresh water thoroughly then into the lockup it goes... i can do 2 sets of gear in about 20/30mins i guess

then our neighbour uses the water in the tub to water his gardens by bucket

what are you diving in that requires 15 washes??? (3 days x 5 tubs of water per day) a toxic waste dump or a swamp??? :)

Following a salt water dive I soak it all in the tub for 1 hour, then drain the tub and soak once more in a freshly filled tub for a final rinse - the booties get another bath in "no stink" - the BC then gets 3 internal flushes with the third contaning a commercial BC rinse to prevent algae and bacterial formation. Hang up to dry - I'm done.

I just fill up my rubbermaid tub and swish everything around until I'm satisfied I've rinsed it well enough. Booties get a very light bleach solution and then rinsed last. Total wash time is maybe 20 minutes.

KierenConnell:
Do you clean your gear? If so how? For how long?

I soak all my gear in a bath for about 3 days changing the water around 5 times a day, then hang it out on the line.

What about you?

KierenConnell
Wow?!

I rinse mine in FW before I leave the site, dry to pack and fly home. Then soak for an hour or so in water with some cheap shampoo, drain and soak in rinse water - maybe over night. Most of mine is years old, some with 300 dives, but many real divers have used theirs much more with less.

almitywife:
what the...... we have a drought here (dont you in SA??) so no way would i waste so much water (unless you collect and recycle then snaps to you)

No we don't recycle it, were i live i basically have an unlimmited supply of water. We get allocated roughly 8 times the ammount of any one in Adelaide per year to use which is nearly immpossible. So no we dont recycle the water as there is ****loads, they just dont want you to know that there is that much.

KierenConnell:
No we don't recycle it, were i live i basically have an unlimmited supply of water. We get allocated roughly 8 times the ammount of any one in Adelaide per year to use which is nearly immpossible. So no we dont recycle the water as there is ****loads, they just dont want you to know that there is that much.

Just because you have the allocation, doesn't mean that you have to use it.

5x tubs a day for three days is way too excessive to clean gear. A few hours soaking and hung to dry should more than suffice.

We risnse our gear in about 20 litres of recycled water (vigorous risnse through, stating with the gloves and masks, moving to suits and bc's and the boots last). About once a month, overnight soak in the bath tub.

Back
Top Bottom