Cleaning Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KierenConnell:
Do you clean your gear? If so how? For how long?

I soak all my gear in a bath for about 3 days changing the water around 5 times a day, then hang it out on the line.

What about you?

KierenConnell
You have way too much time on your hands!

I just rinse in under hose for about 5min. Hang to dry ,then pack.
Do you really want it to last forever? Im not saying neglect it but I surely want a new BC at least every 5 years or so. Its fun getting new stuff!

Someone should start a thread on how long you have had your current BC

Everything gets rinsed at the dock, and when we get home it all goes in a bathtub full of lukewarm water for a half hour or so. Change water and let sit a little longer. BC's get internal rinse. Everything gets hung to dry. I only do the soap thing (a tiny bit of cheap shampoo like a lot of other posters) occasionally, like after a week-long trip.

Mountain Dog

Crazy Fingers:
That's crazy... I would hate to see your water and sewer bill if you went diving as often as I do...............

other than the obvious waste of water (i know you said you have heaps to waste but it doesnt mean you have to) is the fact that my gear would never be dry

ewwwhhh - a cold wetsuit is never a good thing for this WWW :D

oh, my zeagle bc is about 5yrs old, my sherwood regs almost 10yrs old and seatec wetsuit about 7yrs old and all still in great condition (geez, i need to buy something new i think!)

BRANDY:
I just rinse in under hose for about 5min. Hang to dry ,then pack.
Do you really want it to last forever? Im not saying neglect it but I surely want a new BC at least every 5 years or so. Its fun getting new stuff!

Someone should start a thread on how long you have had your current BC

Now and forever. BP/W doesn't "wear out" in any way that you can't cheaply fix. Even if you plan on replacing gear I'd still take good care of it, hate to have a failure because of bad maintenence.

I fill a 30 gallon trash can with water and add a little dish washing liquid. Then I rinse/soak my gear for maybe 10-20 minutes.
I then hang up my gear for a few hours and that's it. Put it away, bow before it and offer thanks for keeping me alive. Lastly, I promise to be faithful and take it out again as soon as possible.

Do you want to wear your gear out before you have enough dives to actually appreciate it? I shower with my gear, then hang to dry. I thought I was anal!:D

shellim123:
Do you want to wear your gear out before you have enough dives to actually appreciate it? I shower with my gear, then hang to dry. I thought I was anal!:D

you could shower with a buddy and save even more water!!! :eyebrow:

see, the water-saver ads down here are working on me :D

I clean my gear only at the end of the dive trip (no matter how many days long) by soaking it in whatever "clean" water is around for a few minutes and then drying it in the sun. Then when I get home maybe I do it again in the bathtub if I'm not too lazy (which is often). Other than that, the equipment is on its own...

almitywife:
you could shower with a buddy and save even more water!!! :eyebrow:

Depending on your buddy, I tested this theory and we wasted more water than our 50 gal tank could generate.... I blamed it on Al Gore.

Back
Top Bottom