Cleaning and prep of your new scuba diving mask... Defog secret recipe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

** MOD POST: ** To help provide some context, this thread has been moved from the Mask forum. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Marg, I feel marginalzed by my post being moved to another area without asking my permission. Please return it to the original area in which i posted the thread. Moving it has changed the context of my post and as such shifted the context in such a way that my opinions expressed within the video are not what I was originally expressing.

You said that it is a satire video right?

I watched the video. Where you are BS-ing about using wire brush or wire-brush grinder. The message would be funnier if you demonstrate it, not just talk about it. Talk is cheap. Do it like Benny Hill or Charlie Chaplin would do. Unwrap a brand new mask, start grinding it in front of the video camera to show how hard one should grind the silicone off the lens.

When you want to use your "secret recipe" of defogger, 2 parts of bleach, 1 part of scrub, 1 part of baby shampoo, basically 50% bleach solution, demonstrate it in front of the camera how you apply the solution with rubber glove, flush it and then wear the mask on. That would be funnier.

I have seen what bleach can do to cornea. Bleach dissolves protein. Your cornea is protein. Kids who spend a lot of time in a pool with elevated chlorine would have cloudy vision. I have experienced it myself when I was a kid, spending time too long playing in the public pool and getting cloudy vision afterwards. So, that's why your satire video is not funny. In fact bordering to be dangerous. I won't be surprised if you will get sued by some dummy who actually & literally follow your instruction & get injured from it.

Last edited:
You said that it is a satire video right?
When you want to use your "secret recipe" of defogger, 2 parts of bleach, 1 part of scrub, 1 part of baby shampoo, basically 50% bleach solution, demonstrate it in front of the camera how you apply the solution with rubber glove, flush it and then wear the mask on. That would be funnier.

I actually "reported" the video to YouTube for possible harmful content. But I believe it is still up.

Reactions: Dan
My Aqualung mask behaved fine for months when all of a suddenly it started fogging. This coincided with diving dry. Hummmmm... Turns out that the lube I was using to lubricate the wrist seals on the drysuit was getting into the mask when I used the same hand to wash out the defog!

The fogging stopped when I figured this out.
lube? on wrist seals?? I can understand applying a thin thin thin layer on seals when not in use for a longer time..but usually people put talkum powder on seals to slide them on easier without any residue

lube? on wrist seals?? I can understand applying a thin thin thin layer on seals when not in use for a longer time..but usually people put talkum powder on seals to slide them on easier without any residue
Talcum powder actually has quite a bit of residue that may find it's way into the drysuit valves. A lot of people use a seal safe lube (Jollop Seal Slip or KY Jelly).

Talcum powder actually has quite a bit of residue that may find it's way into the drysuit valves. A lot of people use a seal safe lube (Jollop Seal Slip or KY Jelly).
Interesting, never seen it diving around Europe anyway :) not sure I would want slippery seals on my dry gloves though, would be annoying to get that all over the inner glove :p

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The initial post in this thread is intended to be satire and should not be followed or used as guidance in the care and preparation of your dive mask. The posts that follow do however include many useful and effective tips for preparing and maintaining your mask. The community of members does a good job of moderating for the quality of the advice given on Scubaboard and that has once again happened here. Moderators do not fact check content but due to the potential for harm if this post is taken as legitimate we are posting this warning for unsuspecting members. It is also the reason that this post has been moved to different forums as we sought a way to best handle it without undertaking more invasive measures. This message seems like the best approach. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

It wasn't until the 33rd reply that anyone, including me figured out it was satirical. Perhaps your comedic arrow was aimed a bit too far over our heads.

I actually "reported" the video to YouTube for possible harmful content. But I believe it is still up.

Kudos to you! It looks like the video has finally been removed.

I'm just imagining about a dummy following this satirical instructions seriously and scratches up his / her mask by wire brushing the lens. Although that may not be harmful to himself or herself other than feeling foolish to believe in this comedian dive instructor. The dive instructor may have a good laugh from ruining the idiot's mask. However, it is not funny if the idiot burns his / her fingers & eyes after applying the "secret recipe" defogger of 50% bleach.

It's already hard enough for these dummies to be tricked by practical / satirical jokesters, especially by a supposedly claiming to be a dive instructor. It's just a bad / poor taste, bordering to sadistical joke to see if that person burns his / her fingers for applying the 50% bleach on the lens to defog the lens and burns his / eyes after wearing the mask. That is not a funny joke! So, I'm glad it has been taken down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pao
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom