Clarification of scuba applicable lubrication, salt corrosion/protection please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only place I regularly use silicone spray is on a small cheap carry-on travel case I use to carry my regs, divelights, computers etc. This has a metal frame under the nylon covering and some non-stainless metal parts. Since it gets carried on to the boat (and wet) it would corrode quickly if left untreated. I just spray it liberally inside and out from time to time and it's still in mint condition.

I once had to use spray on a sticking inflator hose deflator valve which was leaking slowly and no amount of washing or soaking resolved the problem. I was on the point of stripping it down when the LDS tec told me just to spray into the valve seat while operating the valve repeatedly. It cleared the problem instantly. Whatever was stuck in the valve washed right out on the first spray and I never had any more problems.

So what would you guys recommend for spraying on an inflator hose?
I keep thinking that after a period of time it'll start to crack.

Jamdiver:
So what would you guys recommend for spraying on an inflator hose?
I keep thinking that after a period of time it'll start to crack.

Yes, after a period of time it will start to crack. I never put anything on hoses and they last sometime between ten and fifteen years. I doubt that I would get significantly more life if I treated them, and I KNOW if I were to put something incompatible with rubber on them they would last a lot less time. I would rather just leave them alone.

The best care you can give dive gear is to use it, use it hard and use it often.

Best not to spray it with stuff to make it look pretty and keep it from *cracking*... silicone especially will make repairs difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom