Choosing between 2 sets of gear- HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth Mares has gotten a bad reputation for backordering parts....
Echo that! This is a bit of a continuing problem with Mares, at least in the US. Orders are frequently partially filled, some parts / products come quickly, some take forever. And, there does not seem to be any logic associated with what is backordered - some very common / ordinary parts may be backordered, while some seldom requested parts come quickly, and vice versa. Quite frustrating.
For only $100 differance and a good LDS to back it up, I will go with the LDS every time.
Very good advice. You have a BCD available thropugh the LDS that you have tried on and like, Sherwood regs are very functional and durable, and the Gekko is a good computer.
If you want some pretty gear and like pink look for a Aqualung Mikron in pink, cute little reg with a solid history behind the design.
One aspect of 'cute' is that individual tastes regarding appearance change, and what we like today, we may not like tomorrow. The Mikron is a nice, attractive, very compact, reg though, and is even available in colors others than pink. The diver makes the gear pretty, not the other way around, and you will complement whatever gear you choose.

I went with option 1 at my LDS! Got a womens Seaquest Libra BCD, the Sherwood Blizzard reg, Sherwood octo, and Gekko computer.

It was a hard choice, but ultimately I decided that the ability to try on the BCD was most important. Especially since the initial BCD's I picked out online I tried on later in the store and hated (ScubaPro Ladyhawk and Mares Kaila) Didnt want to take a chance with the Mares Aliikai. My Libra fits me like a glove, I could wear it all day. :D I also like that I have a shop to take care of my gear in case of any problems.

I did, however, go onto Leisure Pro and buy some accessories, like a cute regulator bag and some clips. Im hoping that my reg, octo, computer counsel, and inflator hose will all fit in this bag: Sherwood SR1 Regulator Bag

Thanks for all your help! You guys put things in the right perspective for me, and Im really happy with my choice!!!

good! i hope you get years of enjoyment. also remember that just because things are bundled as a 'package' doesn't mean you can't unbundle to suit yourself.

for 100 bucks i willstay with the lds. use his brands. he has parts he has motivation to keep you happy so you will buy more. when i bought mine i bought a scubapro mk25 from lp and have never regreted it. my lds understands my position as there ws 2-300 difference in the reg price alone. it is hard to find a bad fitting reg. and he sold the same reg in the store. not thae same for the bc. unless you try it on at an lds you dont know what you are getting. it may color match your fins but color doesnt affect its operation. your local shop may let you test dive till you get one that works for you. then and only then do you have your moneys worth. i got my reg from lp and my transpac and wing from the lds. your computer can go either way. after you donate so much to the lds you may get a regular cut from the shop. thats a shoop policy issue. i bought my puter from ebay and the shop was not so eager to help me set the %o2 and was quick to telll me that i should ask the dealer i bought it from for this kind of assistance. so your money buys more than just hardware. you need to feel thenm out. it may mean that that vis is done in a day and not 2 weeks. serve your best customers first as they map your mortgage.

keep in mind that your reg and bc are perhaps your most important life support equipment you have. if kraken comes up from the deep and takes all you gear bor your tank reg and bc you can get home again.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom