"Chicken Wing" 101 please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rock2r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The only part left to purchase for my BP/W set up is a harness. I'm beating myself up over which one (Dive Rite) to get. Yesterday I'm thinking Transplate...a little more research, then today, "nope, simple Hog", then "nope, deluxe with QR on the shoulder".

As I am new to the harness scene, please explain the "Chicken Wing" many members associate with the simple Hog harness don and doff. Is it a quick learning curve?

The only part left to purchase for my BP/W set up is a harness. I'm beating myself up over which one (Dive Rite) to get. Yesterday I'm thinking Transplate...a little more research, then today, "nope, simple Hog", then "nope, deluxe with QR on the shoulder".

As I am new to the harness scene, please explain the "Chicken Wing" many members associate with the simple Hog harness don and doff. Is it a quick learning curve?

One would simply catch their upper D-rings underneath with their thumbs and spread outward to doff. The harness must not be adjusted too tightly in order to accomplish nor does one want a too loosely adjusted harness. Many big/wide shouldered divers have problems accomplishing otherwise it seems to be rather easy to master. You may wish to consider Halcyon's BP/Wings now that they have introduced their new cinch system. Check out Jarrod Jablonski manuver in and out of one.

Extreme Exposure - Home | Extreme Exposure

Can you put a jacket on without physically detaching one of the sleeves from the rest of the jacket?

If so, you'll have no problem.

Can you put a jacket on without physically detaching one of the sleeves from the rest of the jacket?

If so, you'll have no problem.

Well, sure! But my jacket doesn't have > 50# holding the straps to shoulders of my wetsuit. And if I really get stuck I can pull a jacket or sweatshirt over my head. I don't think I can do that with a BP/W.

If I can sit the tank on a high enough table, I don't have a problem getting out from under it but I wind up on my hands and knees if the table is one of those Home Depot X Frames. I can also doff it in the water. But free-standing, it isn't all that easy!

Richard

Just clip your reg to your right D-ring and pull on the reg hose which will take you to the D-ring. Do the chicken wing maneuver and your in. It's a short learning curve. If it's really too tight then loosen it.

The crotch strap takes up the slack.

Check out the Dive Rite Deluxe or the new Halcyon adjustable harness if you find the standard HOG harness a PITA to use

I have been down both roads - hog is much better and you probably would end up putting on the deluxe harness the same way you would the hog rather than messing around with the quick release. Simpler is definitely better with diving.

Many people have their hog harnesses too tight. I can get in and out of mine in a drysuit with wrist computer, slate and bottom timer already on my forearms - and I am 45, large shouldered and not what you'd call lean or overly flexible.

A pivot ring harness is an advantage only if you plan to switch back and forth between a drysuit with heavy under garments and a 3mm wet suit or even t-shirt. In that case, the cross chest strap helps take up the slack with a thin wetsuit without having to re-adjust anything else.

The new Halcyon harness makes a one piece webbing approach easily adjustable - but it solves a non problem, is overly complex and I am not a real fan of their solution for the hip d-ring. In my opinion it is targeted more at the sport diving/crossover crowd than serious technical divers.

The transplate harness, transpac etc, utilizes steel plates to handle the intersection of waist and shoulder straps, but in my opinion it takes up too much space on the waist band and brings the shoulder straps too far forward. Thinner divers will note the loss of waist band real estate as an even more serious issue.

I have a Nomad (based on the transpac harness) and it will shortly be modified to utlize standard webbing running to sewn loops at the lower ends to thread the waist band through.

I just don't see many people ever gravitating away from a hog harness, so it is my first choice in recommending a harness to any new technical diver. Plus I have yet to see an instructor object to one and that is not the case with pivot ring and in particular quick release harnesses.

If I'm not mistaken, the chicken wing maneuver basically involves pushing one wrist under the harness from outside to in as a way of getting the shoulder strap to go over your shoulder. Your arm is then bent sharply at the elbow, like a chicken wing. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I just take my right hand and push the left chest D ring over my shoulder, do the same on the other side, and slip out of the harness. It's really very easy. I can do this in the water, on land with the tank sitting on something, or standing, in which case I just do one shoulder and swing the tank around to control it.

DA, are you going sidemount?

yes, he is, but not totally right now - more for fun & practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom