BP&W + Cold Water Drysuit Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V can only be used on doubles, but a P can be used on either as it sits in the channel between the Diver and backplate. I have a 2.6kg P which I slot into my twin and single rig for sea dives as it corresponds exactly to my salt / fresh differential.
This is what I was thinking. Noobie semantics issue:)

I second use steel tanks. P weights are nice. I like splitting my weight so I use a conner weight and trim harness.

I'm looking at different BP&W options right now. I'm planning on doing more regular drysuit diving in the PNW in the near future. I haven't decided whether I will need a 35lb or 40lb wing yet, depending on my fatness and drysuit buoyancy etc. I would like to get away with no weight belt if possible so I'll probably end up having to up with the 40lb wing in the end.

With all that said, I am currently looking at a combination of the Dive Rite steel Transplate XT and harness and couple that with either the Dive Rite Voyager XT wing (35lb) or the Apeks WTX D40 wing (40lb). With those possible setups, can anyone diving similar conditions share how you add weight to your kit?

If I have a steel plate and a steel tank, I assume that's about 10lbs to start with. Where are you guys putting the remaining 20+ pounds, assuming no weight belt? I have seen reference to a V-weight pouch which appears to go in the wedge of the plate. That seems like a nice centralized and non intrusive way of adding another 5lbs or so.

I see other options when pricing out a kit online that include QR packs for attaching to your harness in a place of your choosing. Seems like a good possible solution for the remaining weight needed. I could get in the pool with the baseline fixed weight, see how my trim is, and then decide to either put the QR packs low on my waist webbing or higher in a more vertical configuration.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
I recently had to use a 40lb wing (normally on my Twinset) with a single for a couple of months. The next size down I own is 18lb and that would not have been sensible. It was quite a pain, it is wider than necessary and wraps up round the cylinder. Reaching the dump is a bit harder and being sure everything has been emptied is harder as gas can remain behind your right shoulder.

My advice is to use a 30.

I was using a weight belt, a steel 15 and mostly a 3l steel pony. I needed 9kg of actual lead in a weight belt. By trying to avoid the weight belt you make a problem you did not have and that results in a solution which you do not want if you expect the wing to support the lead, cylinder etc.

if you really hate weight belts then I suggest a weight hardness.

I'm looking at different BP&W options right now. I'm planning on doing more regular drysuit diving in the PNW in the near future. I haven't decided whether I will need a 35lb or 40lb wing yet, depending on my fatness and drysuit buoyancy etc. I would like to get away with no weight belt if possible so I'll probably end up having to up with the 40lb wing in the end.

With all that said, I am currently looking at a combination of the Dive Rite steel Transplate XT and harness and couple that with either the Dive Rite Voyager XT wing (35lb) or the Apeks WTX D40 wing (40lb). With those possible setups, can anyone diving similar conditions share how you add weight to your kit?

If I have a steel plate and a steel tank, I assume that's about 10lbs to start with. Where are you guys putting the remaining 20+ pounds, assuming no weight belt? I have seen reference to a V-weight pouch which appears to go in the wedge of the plate. That seems like a nice centralized and non intrusive way of adding another 5lbs or so.

I see other options when pricing out a kit online that include QR packs for attaching to your harness in a place of your choosing. Seems like a good possible solution for the remaining weight needed. I could get in the pool with the baseline fixed weight, see how my trim is, and then decide to either put the QR packs low on my waist webbing or higher in a more vertical configuration.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

8 Diving in Des Moines rent's backplates, might be able to try out a 40 lb wing there. I currently have:

* Weighted STA + Trim Weights: ~11 lbs
* Ditchable OMS Weight Pockets: ~8-10 lbs (OMS Ballast System {12 lb | 5.4 kg})
* Any additional weight: On a rubber weight belt, which ends up not being very much weight.

If COVID is ever less of a mess in WA, you're welcome to take a look at my setup.

RE: P-Weights, I ended up making a mold and poured my own lead p-weight that came out at 6 lbs, then wrap in 3" mountain bike inner tube. This is then velcro'd into the plate using some velcro straps. Worked great for my rebreather, but I think I'm going to move it over to my OC plate as well.

For Puget Sound, I'm even using a Hog 23# wing with a single, it just depends on how floaty you really are.

I dive a Halcyon 40lb SS BP/W and weight pouches with dry and wet suits, warm and cold. The system allows 10 lb maximum in the ditchable pouches.

To get good trim with AL80s in my dry suit, I use trim pouches on the upper tank strap (4 lbs x 2), ditchable weight pouch (7.5 lb) with D-ring on the left side, and either free weights or unattached weight pouch on the right side (7.5 lb) waist belt with my canister light. By unattached I mean the weight pouch is free to slide on the harness belt, but retained with a belt buckle that keeps the pouch and canister on the belt. Halcyon gives you the option for attaching the weight pouch to the backplate, which I use on the left side, but not on the right side due to the canister light taking that spot.

With steels, I can take proportional amounts off - probably around 24 lbs total lead.

If I were diving my single tank setup more regularly, I’d use the STA weight (6 lb) to move weight off the trim and ditchable pouches, so I recommend having one to have options to play around with placement. I don’t use the STA weight simply because the singles rig is for pool and ocean teaching and I find it easier to add more weight to the pouches/belt than to constantly remove and replace the STA weight.

I do find minimizing the weight in the pouches to be more convenient for installing the inner ditchable pouch as they're not large and bulge outwards. These aren't the normal BCD quick release systems that can carry much more weight and slide in and out much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom