Check out equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manta6

Reaction score
I haven't used my equipment in a couple of years - do I need to have my reg overhauled before a trip? Is it sufficient to test out in the pool?:confused:

Testing it in a pool would be the absolute minimum.

Slight contamination can do damage over a few years and some parts of some regulators do take a set when at rest.

The best advice is to have it inspected/rebuilt (depending on prior use and care) by a dealer THEN test it in the pool so you don't get a bad surprise at your destination.

Pete

manta6:
I haven't used my equipment in a couple of years - do I need to have my reg overhauled before a trip?

Do you need to have it overhauled before a trip? No way to really know, other than to bring it on the trip. If something goes wrong, you needed to have it overhauled. If it works fine, you didn't need to have it overhauled.

With that in mind, the question becomes: do you want to have it overhauled before your trip.

:blinking:

How much are you spending on the trip? Is saving $50-$100 to have your reg serviced worth ruining our trip?

I went on a trip to Roatan about 6 weeks ago. One of the divers took his Poseidon regs with him and they had not been serviced in several years. His reg failed on the first dive. Poseidon makes great gear, but try getting it serviced in Honduras.

He was lucky I had a spare set of regs available or he would have had to pay to rent a set all week.

Not using gear is in some ways worse than using it every weekend. As was said seals take a set, dry out, even rot. Get em checked. It's cheap insurance. ANd another thing that gets rusty is the diver himself. If your gear has not been used in a few years how often have you dove? Might not be a bad idea to get a refresher.

What kind of regs do you have? I know with mine they don't charge me to have them checked out for the annual maint. part of there warr. something to look into maybe....

Back
Top Bottom