Cheap, Simple Day Trip For Mainland Ruins? Tulum Ruins...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought I would chime in on renting a car and the infamous topes. A couple years back my wife, 3 year-old son and I rented a car for two weeks and drove all over the Yucatan from Cancun to Valladolid over to Majahual and back to Cancun through PDC. We really enjoyed the freedom of having our own vehicle and the topes were really not a big deal, you just have to pay attention. Ek Balam was awesome! I would vote for Coba in your situation over Tulum and also the car rental. Please giuve us a report after your trip. I will be in Cozumel again in January and plan on doing something similar with my family on a non-diving day. Last time we rented a car and just explored Cozumel, which was also fun. Punta Sur is great, but there just aren't any exciting ruins on the island.

(((kevin)))

Nah, I think the Conquistadors, et all had their way with the good Coz ruins, reusing the stone, then the U.S.Air Force used much of that to build a base in WWII to guard the Caribbean. Now used as Cozumel airport.

Thought I would chime in on renting a car and the infamous topes. A couple years back my wife, 3 year-old son and I rented a car for two weeks and drove all over the Yucatan from Cancun to Valladolid over to Majahual and back to Cancun through PDC. We really enjoyed the freedom of having our own vehicle and the topes were really not a big deal, you just have to pay attention. Ek Balam was awesome! I would vote for Coba in your situation over Tulum and also the car rental. Please giuve us a report after your trip. I will be in Cozumel again in January and plan on doing something similar with my family on a non-diving day. Last time we rented a car and just explored Cozumel, which was also fun. Punta Sur is great, but there just aren't any exciting ruins on the island.

(((kevin)))

If I had the time to visit one Mayan ruin and would never return to the Yucatan, hard choice between Ek Balam and Chichen Itza. Both sites are incredible!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom