Cheap, Simple Day Trip For Mainland Ruins? Tulum Ruins...??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need to rent a car or take a tour bus I suppose, not the public buses?

Actually, we rented a small car and drove down there ourselves. Didn't cost that much more than going on a tour bus, and I HATE being forced into a tour bus schedule. Get back on when they tell you, stop where they want you to, etc. With your own transport you can do things your own way. You can stop at one of the cenotes that are along the way from Tulum to Coba, and cool off the mayan way, for example. There are a lot of little outposts of native shopkeepers along that road also, and you can look for giant mexican blankets and such from the locals rather than the big tourist traps that the tour buses stop at. There was a unigue little shop that I was directed to last year (on advice from this board :kiss2:) that sold incredible stone carvings of mayan glyphs that I have never seen anywhere else, for example, and another place that sold various products made from honey. You won't see these places from a tour bus, that I can guarantee you. If you really hate driving (about an hour, hour and a half from Playa to Coba) you can get a private van to take you down there and bring you back, but that starts getting expensive... Whatever you choose, I am sure you will have a great time. If we can help further, just ask. Woody

If you drive yourself, be VERY careful of the topes on the road to Coba. They are located on each end of the little groups of houses along the road. If memory serves me, there are about 2-4 sets of topes to watch out for. These are the nastiest ones I have seen, 5mph max when you cross them.

Also, if you go on a Sunday, there are no entrance fees at the ruins.

Yeah, saw that Topes warning on the Coba article, but after driving from PDC to the Holbox ferry - I am kinda aware of those. Never saw a hiway cop but there are topes at every village, house, intersection, etc. And I suppose they are cheaper than cops.

I think we'll probly take the 7am ferry to PDC, book a car with Easyway in hopes that they have it ready to go on time this time, but get an automatic as I never did figure out how to keep that Pointer from sounding the alarm for up and down shifts as many miles as I've driven in all sorts of manual shift vehicles up to 25 ton semis! Drive to Coba, pickup some ice & drinks on the way, get there around 9 or so, and after we've had enough of it - consider stops on the way back, i.e. cenotes, shopping, Tulum ruins.

Thanks for all of y'all's help...!

I would not count on a sign warning you about the topes. Your easiest place for ice and drinks is the Super San Fransisco in Tulum. Take lots of water, Coba has a lot of trees and the air is very still. Tulum is worse, no trees and the sun is brutal.

When will you be in Coz? We are going down from 7 August and leaving the 12th.

Be there Aug 18-23.

Yeah, saw that Topes warning on the Coba article, but after driving from PDC to the Holbox ferry - I am kinda aware of those. Never saw a hiway cop but there are topes at every village, house, intersection, etc. And I suppose they are cheaper than cops.[/I]
For what it's worth, we just got back from there and were driven from Playa down to Dos Ojos cenote, which is just north of the Hidden Worlds complex (most of the way to Tulum), and I noticed that they were just finishing removing ALL the topes from that highway.:lotsalove: I drove that stretch last year, and my daughter is still kidding me about missing a couple of those damnable things and shaking up everyone in the car as a result.:mooner: Man, what an improvement! Only this time, we noticed a couple of highway cops set up behind big canvas screens. (No hills to provide hiding places for them, so I guess they had to do something...) Oh well, what else is new? But losing those topes was great. Now, I am not talking about anywhere else, such as the road from Tulum to Coba, for example.:eyebrow: You take your chances out there. But the main drive is clean, for now anyway. Go for it! Lots of luck on your trip. Woody

Don, a little bit more information if you haven't committed yet. We are returning from Coz today, and visited Tulum last week. We took the ferry to PDC for $28 each round trip, the ADO bus to the Tulum ruins for 48 pesos each RT (yes!) and I think the ruins were no more than $6 USD each. The official guides are $45 or 500 pesos, which we used but couldn't find anyone to split with us at the time. It was kind of slow at the time. Coming back the PDC to Coz ferry was not running between 3 and 6 PM, so we had to wait a little for the 6 PM one, no big deal.

The ADO bus also goes to Coba for a little bit more, very cheap.

BTW, the ADO bus is very comfortable, with AC, bathroom, and only stops twice (Xel-ha and Xcaret) briefly.

I also agree with climbing the pyramid at Coba, the view is awesome. From what I understand, the one in Coba is the highest of all Mayan structures even higher than Kukulkan's Pyramid in Chichen Itza. Glad to hear they are removing the Topes, I've done a few Evel Knievel launchs off of those suckers too doen the highway. It will be very hot and humid in August. Take plenty of drinking water and I agree rent a bike.

Don, a little bit more information if you haven't committed yet. We are returning from Coz today, and visited Tulum last week. We took the ferry to PDC for $28 each round trip, the ADO bus to the Tulum ruins for 48 pesos each RT (yes!) and I think the ruins were no more than $6 USD each. The official guides are $45 or 500 pesos, which we used but couldn't find anyone to split with us at the time. It was kind of slow at the time. Coming back the PDC to Coz ferry was not running between 3 and 6 PM, so we had to wait a little for the 6 PM one, no big deal.

The ADO bus also goes to Coba for a little bit more, very cheap.

BTW, the ADO bus is very comfortable, with AC, bathroom, and only stops twice (Xel-ha and Xcaret) briefly.
Thanks! The bus would be cheaper and simpler, but how often does it run each way I wonder? I may need to ask on the main Mexico forum as the local PDC members might know more.

Curious why you paid $28 RT for the ferry? The ferries are 140 Pesos, aren't they? Spending USD and got hit with with a bad exchange? Why were the ferries not running that afternoon? Wind?

The topes on 307 are light weights compared to those on the Tulum-Coba road. I am not joking about 5 mph. Those bad boys are built to screw up your car every time. Great to hear that the topes are being removed on 307, if they would just restripe the lanes that would be a big improvement for night driving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom