Cheap IrDA dongle for Uwatec computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you are using the right driver for that dongle... it should say "kingsun" somewhere in the name.

Of course, even if you have the right driver, you might be screwed. Windows is just like that.

Oh, I have heard that some antivirus software can interfere with the IR port. Are you running Norton or Symantec stuff?

- No Norton or Symantec, tried on two different PCs one of which barely has anything installed other than MS word.
- Tried variety of settings, I know the Aladin Prime can be set to 9 kbps (low) or 56 kbps (high)... no combination of Aladin Prime or PC speed settings helped.
- Tried turning off the lights since I hear it interferes with poorly made ir devices.

Still no luck :confused:

My cheapie also froze Windows XP... I could download my Tec 2G with few problems, but the blue screen of death appeared on occasion even when I didn't remove the dongle. May have to look into the one suggested by the OP.

Does this work on Windows Vista?

what about windows 7?

I wanted to post an update to this thread for the benefit of future Uwatec users.

The $5 dongle in the first post seems to be no longer available, but I verified that this $8 part also works... at least under Windows XP. My Galileo Sol and Smart Tec both connected fine.

$7.60 - Mini USB to IrDA Dongle Adapter (Silver) - Bluetooth & IrDA

I didn't even have to install a driver for it, so it used the same Kingsun driver as the blue dongle or something built in to Windows.

I still don't know about Windows Vista/7 compatibility as my little netbook where the dive log lives is on XP.

My new USB-IR adapter just arrived today. I was trying to find one, working under Windows 7. I bought it @ Monoprice dot com (search for INFRARED, USB Infra-Red Wireless Adapter IrDA - 4Mbps Transfer Rate (FIR mode)). The price is 7.84$ + 2$ delivery.
Windows 7 found it in seconds. No needs to install any drivers. Once installed, I pointed out my Aladin 2G, and IR icon appeared on it immediately. I started SmartTrack, and it detected my computer immediately. Data transfer was quick. Highly recommend.

What 'Pragmatic' said...This dongle works great with Windows 7. I didn't even have to load the driver that came with it. Windows found and loaded the driver the second I plugged it in. My 2G and the dongle hooked up immediately and my dives were loaded in about three seconds. I can't speak for other computers, but if you have a Aladdin 2G, this is THE dongle to get.

i have a startech like this that i got in nov of 2010 for like $8 works in both xp and windows 7 no lockup of blue screens with xp you need to load the driver with 7 you do not.

Cool! I sold my IBM laptop (had IRDA) and haven't downloaded since then (am probably pushing the limits of the log on the unit).

I'll give one of these a shot and see how it does with W7-64

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom