cheap chinese video light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is cool, a way to program your light SW it seems.
Screenshot_20220619-140614_AliExpress.jpg

I know this is not a video light. But does anyone have experience with this style?
Looks like a nice switch, and no crazy flashing modes, very nice to charge, don't need to bring a separate charger,
There are some other cheaper one that don't have a USB port...
Really depends on your use-case. Are you a recreational diver, and/or want to get into overhead diving? My thought process as a cave diver is that it would make for a decent backup light, but maybe the switch might accidentally turn on. A lot of on/off magnetic switches can be jammed off with surgical tubing to keep your backups off in your pockets (see pic). If you're going to need multiple lights, I'd suggest sticking to 18650s as they are the most common. Also, if you're getting multiple lights/batteries the rear charging port becomes less relevant.
1655678264370.png

As a primary for recreational diving it looks good though. Obviously YMMV and I haven't bought/used this light, simply going off of the product page.

Really depends on your use-case. Are you a recreational diver, and/or want to get into overhead diving? My thought process as a cave diver is that it would make for a decent backup light, but maybe the switch might accidentally turn on. A lot of on/off magnetic switches can be jammed off with surgical tubing to keep your backups off in your pockets (see pic). If you're going to need multiple lights, I'd suggest sticking to 18650s as they are the most common. Also, if you're getting multiple lights/batteries the rear charging port becomes less relevant.
View attachment 729286

As a primary for recreational diving it looks good though. Obviously YMMV and I haven't bought/used this light, simply going off of the product page.

Yeah don't like those sliding switchs

But this one has a rotary one on the barrel
-1656726171-2116976471.jpg

Where'd you find that?
In the description
C$ 45.93 50%OFF | Wurkkos New TS21 Rechargeable Flashlight 3500LM EDC Torch 3* SST20 Emitter Anduril 2.0 Magnet Tail Stainless Steel Bezel Camping

Does anyone here use these cheap chinese lights as video lights for shooting? Any links to share?

Hows the temperature of the light, the colour and tint?

Its is a function of luck or they just spoil after a dive or 5.

TIA :)

Does anyone here use these cheap chinese lights as video lights for shooting? Any links to share?

Hows the temperature of the light, the colour and tint?

Its is a function of luck or they just spoil after a dive or 5.

TIA :)
My experience is that those cheap switches (mentioned earlier in this thread) fail after 50-100 dives in saltwater, assuming the device isn't DOA. For short/medium term, they seem pretty cost-effective.

My experience is that those cheap switches (mentioned earlier in this thread) fail after 50-100 dives in saltwater, assuming the device isn't DOA. For short/medium term, they seem pretty cost-effective.
Bought 2 to try. Still on the way. However its looking as if the batteries will cost more than the lights!

Bought 2 to try. Still on the way. However its looking as if the batteries will cost more than the lights!
Don't skimp on batteries. If you're going the chinese route, stick to official Liitokala batteries. I've probably ordered 4-5 batches of those, both 18650s and 21700s, and they're pretty close to advertised capacity. I've never had issues with them, and they're worth every penny compared to what you might find on non-chinese sites (at 20-50% of the cost!).
Also consider that the batteries might even outlast the lights.

I've owned 7 of these Chinese video lights in their various LED configurations. They do work pretty well for videos. I consider them disposible for the most part.

I think I'm down ~2.5 working lights unfortunately. I would agree that it is usually the switches that fail especially in salt water if they are not rinsed well.

One thing I ended up doing is JB welding the blue/red switch closed. I have no use for that mode/button so I got rid of it prevent it from flooding from that particular button or accidently turning on that mode.

I wonder if there are stainless steel c-clips out there that would fit the switches, and whether they would prolong the switch life. Usually by the time you pull them out you see a powdered and corroded residue on them.

Back
Top Bottom