CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hum. I don’t get it.

It seems it's a pet peeve for some divers.
Non diving publications such as news articles will use oxygen tank as a layman's term for scuba tank.
That post refers to 100% oxygen used for accelerated decompression.
Obviously we all take oxygen with us in a suitable mix for the depths we are expecting.
BTW. Those are cylinders not tanks!
I could care less about your punctuation, terminology or spelling but many do.
If I can comprehend the intent, we're good.

Cheers

It seems it's a pet peeve for some divers.
Non diving publications such as news articles will use oxygen tank as a layman's term for scuba tank.
That post refers to 100% oxygen used for accelerated decompression.
Obviously we all take oxygen with us in a suitable mix for the depths we are expecting.
BTW. Those are cylinders not tanks!
I could care less about your punctuation, terminology or spelling but many do.
If I can comprehend the intent, we're good.

Cheers
Or like that old episode of CSI New York where on the Hudson, Mack refers to the diver's oxygen tank.

Those are cylinders not tanks!
Are you referring to bottles?

That was not my point. My bad, I did not understand your post. I thought you meant that you usually are able to have a 4 minute breathing cycle while diving, after your breathing exercises out of the water.

I was actually curious as I have a high SAC.

read this thread...

Improving my SAC rate

I actually tested CESA and buoyant ascent today but it was not what I expected. What I did not know is that it is part of the Stress and Rescue course that I started today. First, the CESA is done at maybe 5 meters. I wanted to make it as realistic as possible so I did not fully inhale at start-up. I was ascending too slow and I screwed up. Before reaching the surface, I had to stop exhaling and breath in through my regulator :-( . Then came the buoyant ascent. It was from 4 meters. I ditched my weights, put myself on my back but I ascended way slower than I expected. No feeling of not being in control. So apart from the fact that I can't sustain a breath out longer than 30 seconds ( I will probably die if I have to do a CESA from 10 meters :) ), I did not learn much.

Then came the buoyant ascent. It was from 4 meters. I ditched my weights, put myself on my back but I ascended way slower than I expected. No feeling of not being in control. So apart from the fact that I can't sustain a breath out longer than 30 seconds ( I will probably die if I have to do a CESA from 10 meters :) ), I did not learn much.

You did a buoyant ESA as part of a course?

I actually tested CESA and buoyant ascent today but it was not what I expected. What I did not know is that it is part of the Stress and Rescue course that I started today. First, the CESA is done at maybe 5 meters. I wanted to make it as realistic as possible so I did not fully inhale at start-up. I was ascending too slow and I screwed up. Before reaching the surface, I had to stop exhaling and breath in through my regulator :-( . Then came the buoyant ascent. It was from 4 meters. I ditched my weights, put myself on my back but I ascended way slower than I expected. No feeling of not being in control. So apart from the fact that I can't sustain a breath out longer than 30 seconds ( I will probably die if I have to do a CESA from 10 meters :) ), I did not learn much.
You should never practice a buoyant ascent. I assume you had very little weight and not a thick wetsuit, so your ascent, particularly from 4 meters wasn't fast enough to be of major concern. I assume you were in a pool and not outside in The Netherlands in Feb.
Buoyant ascent can be very dangerous for the bends, and is the last resort when you run out of other options.

For the CESA, you may have been exhaling too much air at once. 5 meters should be a breeze at a safe speed-- shouldn't run out of air, but I guess you were just too slow. I like the idea of staring with lungs maybe half full and have mentioned that to students after they did it with a big full breath in the OW course. I figure if you can get a full breath from the tank you can at least start out with a normal ascent.

I did not learn much.
You did learn that cesa is not that easy and its always better to avoid it :D

Dont practice buoyant ascents. It is dangerous. (not so much from 4m, but still)

And remember, on the way up there is a litle air that can be breath from the regulator during the ascent. (in a real ooa)

You did a buoyant ESA as part of a course?
Yes. But from really shallow waters. I think that the idea was to get familiar with dropping the weights and the position. There was absolutely no risk in my point of view as I exhaled all the way up and I had my regulator with a full tank.

Back
Top Bottom