CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would it be considered safe to practise CESA training from 10 then 20 and eventually 30 meters? The idea would be to do it with a full tank, valve opened and surrounded by an Instructor and a DM.
I haven't asked my Instructor yet. I figured it would be better to be shot down in flames on SB rather than face to face :).
Of course, that would not be a real situation for two reasons. While exhaling and ascending, if I am out of breath, I will still have the possibility to inhale through my regulator. I know that in a real OOA situation, some gas is supposed to be available as one ascends but I am not insane enough to test that.

i am assuming you are doing your open water course ? if so, i would suggest that no instructor will allow you to do a cesa from 30 meters. if they do, i would like to know their name and what agency they teach for.

Safe encompasses a lot of ground. The short answer it's probably not a good idea. If you want to practice CESA, it's probably better to do it in the pool. There's no way to know what's going to get you bent, but one thing that's fairly well established is that CESAs in open water are the most likely skill to get a Rec. instructor bent.

While I commend you for wanting to practice the skill, if you were my student I'd say no. Since you aren't my student, maybe try it from safety stop depth, after a shallow dive if you are going to do it in open water... that would be safer for you and everyone else. But, again I still think that's a bad idea.

My personal experience is that doing CESAs is that most physically taxing part of open water training. In a class of 10, I'm going to do at least 13 CESAs with students. It's hard on your body from 20 feet. It's harder on yourself, the more you have to do.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Please don't. Rather, work on preventing yourself from ever needing a CESA. An ounce of prevention is far better than a stroke from doing a CESA.

Would it be considered safe to practise CESA training from 10 then 20 and eventually 30 meters?
No CESAs are considered safe. The first thing an instructor does for the student after completion is to evaluate them for brain damage.

Not to panic if it ever happens. Knowing that you can do it because you have been trained. To avoid having to do a buyoant ascent from 30 m.

i am assuming you are doing your open water course ? if so, i would suggest that no instructor will allow you to do a cesa from 30 meters. if they do, i would like to know their name and what agency they teach for.
No. I have completed AOW. SSI teaches no CESA below 18 meters. Below, buyoant ascent. But I have read one SB one diver saying that he regularly practises CESA at 30m so I wanted to know.

Safe encompasses a lot of ground. The short answer it's probably not a good idea. If you want to practice CESA, it's probably better to do it in the pool. There's no way to know what's going to get you bent, but one thing that's fairly well established is that CESAs in open water are the most likely skill to get a Rec. instructor bent.

While I commend you for wanting to practice the skill, if you were my student I'd say no. Since you aren't my student, maybe try it from safety stop depth, after a shallow dive if you are going to do it in open water... that would be safer for you and everyone else. But, again I still think that's a bad idea.

My personal experience is that doing CESAs is that most physically taxing part of open water training. In a class of 10, I'm going to do at least 13 CESAs with students. It's hard on your body from 20 feet. It's harder on yourself, the more you have to do.

I wouldn't recommend it.
I actually did it once from around 8 meters after a safety stop. I was already certified but the instructor I was with was not impressed.

OK. So not a good idea. One skill that I won't have to add to my practise checklist.

the most current ssi standards limits the depth to 10 meters for any recreational emergency ascent training.
i also have read of divers doing deep water ascents once or twice a year as a form of personal training. i am not judging anyone for doing this but i personally would not do this.
as stated above, prevention is the best training.

Back
Top Bottom