CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The relation is simple. When you are a good deep free diver and can go down to 20-25 meters on a single breath, you are mentally quite sure of being able to perform a CESA from the same depth.
Your mental state is of utmost importance when you suddenly are OOA. If you are calm and act properly it is easy to reach the surface with no harm. If you panic, the chances are much lower.
As modern training to free diving is focused on brain and body control, a good deep free diver is almost impossible to panic when scuba diving and being OOA...
So I repeat my suggestion to the OP: if you are afraid of a CESA from 30m, get trained to free dive at the same depth. It will take several months and a lot of effort, working both on your body and particularly on your brains, but at the end you will not be anxious anymore of being OOA at 30m.
In the meanwhile (and even later) a small pony tank is a good reassuring thing to always carry with you.
If others cricticise you for that, leave them talking.
I think that learning freediving is a good advice. Today, I can only hold my breath for more or less 30 seconds. And all the comments about additional air in the lungs while ascending being a hoax is not comforting. However, I have always considered free diving as a more dangerous hobby than scuba diving but improving my lung capacity would be good.

And all the comments about additional air in the lungs while ascending being a hoax is not comforting.
What's amazing is the the US Navy is perpetuating that hopax with its training. I think you should tell them they are doing it all wrong. You may get a medal for overturning 60+ years of training!

I think that learning freediving is a good advice. Today, I can only hold my breath for more or less 30 seconds. And all the comments about additional air in the lungs while ascending being a hoax is not comforting. However, I have always considered free diving as a more dangerous hobby than scuba diving but improving my lung capacity would be good.

It's mostly in your mind: your lung capacity isn't going to "improve" at this point, your ability to control the urge to breathe can.

If I ever run out of "Oxygen" and have no option but to CESA, I have seriously screwed up a deco dive and am in a world of hurt. :wink:

You'll need split fins to balance out the oxygen tank and a suunto computer to make sure all your deco are belong to us.

You'll need split fins to balance out the oxygen tank and a suunto computer to make sure all your deco are belong to us.
Dont forget the goggles.

Today, I can only hold my breath for more or less 30 seconds.
Forget about practicing emergency assents from depth it’s to dangerous. I can hold an exhalation for over a minute and an inhalation for 3 minutes. Get “ The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown “ On my last dive with a buddy I used 40% less air.
Obviously don’t practice any breathing techniques in the water as you could pass out.

Can't this lead to hypercapnia while scuba diving?
Please do not practice breathing exercises and techniques when underwater
You pulled a sentence out of my post and quoted it out of context.

Back
Top Bottom