CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You were able to perform a CESA for a distance of only one meter and then ran out of "breath" and consequently had to ditch lead, and then breathe from the regulator and perform a buoyant ascent for the remainder of the ascent (from a depth of 4 meters to the surface)??
I did a CESA from 5m. And I did a buoyant ascent from 4 meters.

Well, every diver should know not to hold your breath -- while ascending of course, but no need to otherwise unless for a reason like taking a photo or spearing a flounder so no bubbles.
The danger on a CESA or buoyant ascent is that of you exhale too much (too forcefully) there is the danger that some air will get trapped deep in the lungs and cause the overexpansion-- so I've read.

Well, every diver should know not to hold your breath -- while ascending of course, but no need to otherwise unless for a reason like taking a photo or spearing a flounder so no bubbles.
The danger on a CESA or buoyant ascent is that of you exhale too much (too forcefully) there is the danger that some air will get trapped deep in the lungs and cause the overexpansion-- so I've read.
I find it doubtful. Exhaling would keep air in the lungs!!!???

I find it doubtful. Exhaling would keep air in the lungs!!!???
Well that's what I've read in a couple of places. Think it has something to do with not breathing normally--if too fast exhaling, somehow some air can get lodged somewhere. Haven't read any details of it happening to someone.
Wish I could recall exactly where I read this-- maybe someone else can, or can explain it better.

I read the same.
If you exhale to forcefully, air might get trapped. This also can happen, when u have a cold.

A buoyant ascent should not be practiced. There is a reasom its considered not safe. To many deaths.

Kinda hard to not hold your breath when you are in Maui in late January/early February and you want to hear the humpacks singing!:wink:

If you want to train for an OOG scenario, train deploying your redudant source of gas.
The way I read it, topic is actually about practicing CESA. Redundant supply is a valid risk management option but how much risk is acceptable for given dive condition and profile is highly variable and individual, also cultural. Deploying redundant source is another skill/exercise. No reason to disqualify your self from CESA.

The way I read it, topic is actually about practicing CESA. Redundant supply is a valid risk management option but how much risk is acceptable for given dive condition and profile is highly variable and individual, also cultural. Deploying redundant source is another skill/exercise. No reason to disqualify your self from CESA.

Not quite. The topic was not about "practicing CESA." It was about OP's intention to practice CESA from three times the depth that any training agency prescribes for any recreational course.

Lots of commenters discouraged this idea. When OP persisted, several of us tried to get him to think more carefully about risk mitigation, noting that his approach neither reduced the likelihood of an OOA situation occurring nor made such a situation a non-emergency.

Choosing a more effective risk mitigation strategy would not in any way "disqualify" him from attempting a CESA in a real emergency.

Please don't drag us back to the beginning and re-start 19 more pages of explaining why practicing a 30-meter CESA is a dumb idea, especially for a diver like the OP, who by his own account can barely hold his breath for 30 seconds, which means there is no way he could ascend at a safe rate during his "training."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom