CESA Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For, example, I usually do not carry my pony on recreational dives. However, I do carry it when I’m spearfishing and there’s a good chance distance, distraction, or limited visibility will make my buddy an unreliable source of emergency air.
This sounds more like you are not following safe diving procedures not paying attention to your buddy and you think you are "fixing" it by using redundant gas supply. Why should OP get advice from you?

You don’t like where a discussion is headed so you insinuate that your interlocutor is a criminal?

It takes the strength of a full-grown troll to drag such a massive red herring across the trail of that line of thought you’re trying to obscure.

Happily, your “book” is irrelevant here. Spearfishing on scuba is perfectly legal where I live.
You are the one asked about my book, I regret you did not like the answer but it was factual, what you do is not only in Europe but in a lot of other countries a criminal offense. It is frowned upon by spearfishers as well.
I am not a troll, and for the record, it is considered inappropriate and is illegal (at least this side of the pond) to insult or call names on people.
Risks are evaluated and mitigated based on probability of occurrence. It is extremely unlikely rec diving within ndl in reasonable temperatures will end up in sudden OOO situation. Even it happens, there are already mitigations in place. Your advice is not rational, OP can save his money and invest in something else.

I have one of these for your seiza

full.jpg

https://www.deepseaclassifieds.com/vintage-scuba-and-rebreather/scuba-draeger-tr-60-rebreather.html

This sounds more like you are not following safe diving procedures not paying attention to your buddy and you think you are "fixing" it by using redundant gas supply. Why should OP get advice from you?

Fishing and filming are solo hobbies.
It's common for both to be self reliant.
Redundancy IS the "fix" for buddy proximity/availability.
I'm assuming his buddy was similarly equipped.
I'm assuming you are vegetarian as you are so dismayed by fishing...

Fishing and filming are solo hobbies.
Ok, scuba diving is a team activity. I am probably in the wrong forum.
Redundancy IS the "fix" for buddy proximity/availability.
Staying with your buddy is the fix for the buddy proximity.
I'm assuming his buddy was similarly equipped.
Could be, that makes 2 solo divers. Why bother to even dive together.
I'm assuming you are vegetarian as you are so dismayed by fishing
You are assuming wrong. Resident reef fish (not only) in the Mediterranean have been cleaned by scuba spearfishing for years, this is the reason laws are strict. They also damaged the reputation of the apnea spearfisher. How sporting is to shoot a sitting duck? I only eat fish that is responsibly caught, so, this is close to being vegetarian.

Ucarkus:

There's no need to bicker in public. If you want to have a civil discussion, I'm available through the private message system.

All you have to do is send me a message. Oh, and you also have to stop acting like a troll.

--Trolls change topics or deploy new logical fallacies every time they're pinned down.
--Trolls attack the morals, ethics, and competence of those with whom they disagree (An example would be someone unfamiliar with another country's laws, fishing regulations or common practices confidently criticizing both the ethics and the technique from afar).
--Trolls hijack threads far afield of the natural growth of the conversations they trample on. (We've gone from CESA training to fish conservation in the Med?)
--Trolls act wounded when they get called out and insinuate that it might be actionable to tell them they are acting like trolls.

If you agree not to do those things, I'd be happy to talk with you about CESA's, risk management, how lucky we are in Florida to have well managed fish stocks--or even the basis for your peculiar notion that it's ethical to eat meat only if the animal had a "sporting" chance. I'm especially curious how and when your logic would allow any hunter or fisher to use any weapons at all. Exactly how much chance should the animal have of "winning" for the competition to meet your standards? Should the fisherman be as likely to get eaten as the fish is, or does the fish need to have only a certain probability of escape to make eating it okay? And if a hunter gets killed in a truly fair competition, would that make it okay for us to eat the parts of him we manage to wrest from the bear?

But I'm done debating you in the public forums.

I'm quite certain that I would not survive a CESA attempt from 30m.
CESA
Corpse
Egress
Somewhat
Automatic

I'm a bit ambivalent about writing this, but here goes: During my Rescue Diver course (in Gillboa Quarry OH, c. 1992), I actually performed an impromptu CESA during training. The scenario: I was to "discover" a diver on the bottom (~20 ffw) who required "rescuing." I needed to make an assessment, when I reached the diver, as to what to do next.

In my case, my "victim" (an instructor) was "trapped" (hopelessly entangled), but otherwise okay. So, I doffed my scuba, and left it with him, and ascended to the surface to first call for help and then swim to shore to summon help.

No problem, since my open water training (in MO and AK) involved a lot of underwater doffing and donning (and harassment, stress, black-out masks, etc). My Rescue course instructor, on shore, was surprised by my "solution." I didn't realize until later that my solution wasn't typical.

rx7diver

P.S. No problem, except ...

1. Once I reached shore, I looked back ... and couldn't immediately discern where my victim was!

2. When I surface-swam back out to the victim (after locating his exhaust bubbles on the surface), I, being in my drysuit, could not easily descend back down to him! I had been using a full HP 80 when I first "discovered" my victim, and the weight on my weight belt wasn't quite enough to initiate an easy descent! (Almost all of my diving up until then had been completed in a 1/4" Farmer John; I was still relatively new to drysuit diving at that time.)

Resident reef fish (not only) in the Mediterranean have been cleaned by scuba spearfishing for years, this is the reason laws are strict.

You are so wrong, you don't know what you are talking about at all.

I'm a bit ambivalent about writing this, but here goes: During my Rescue Diver course (in Gillboa Quarry OH, c. 1992), I actually performed an impromptu CESA during training. The scenario: I was to "discover" a diver on the bottom (~20 ffw) who required "rescuing." I needed to make an assessment, when I reached the diver, as to what to do next.

In my case, my "victim" (an instructor) was "trapped" (hopelessly entangled), but otherwise okay. So, I doffed my scuba, and left it with him, and ascended to the surface to first call for help and then swim to shore to summon help.

No problem, since my open water training (in MO and AK) involved a lot of underwater doffing and donning (and harassment, stress, black-out masks, etc). My Rescue course instructor, on shore, was surprised by my "solution." I didn't realize until later that my solution wasn't typical.

rx7diver

P.S. No problem, except ...

1. Once I reached shore, I looked back ... and couldn't immediately discern where my victim was!

2. When I surface-swam back out to the victim (after locating his exhaust bubbles on the surface), I, being in my drysuit, could not easily descend back down to him! I had been using a full HP 80 when I first "discovered" my victim, and the weight on my weight belt wasn't quite enough to initiate an easy descent! (Almost all of my diving up until then had been completed in a 1/4" Farmer John; I was still relatively new to drysuit diving at that time.)

That's a refreshing contribution that is relevant to the conversation. Will think more about the repercussions, what could have been done in hindsight, etc., etc.. Which belongs in a separate thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom