Cerulean Closed?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And all that for $20. Now that is worth it. :D

theskull:
Dived Mermet last weekend. Had 15-20 ft. vis, 45-50 F water temp. Lots of fish still active, especially the Spoonbill!

Heated dressing rooms w/ hot water showers, bathrooms with flush toilets. No on-site food in the winter, though--bring your own lunch/snack.

Mermet is the place to be in Winter if you prefer not to dive with crowds. Seldom more than a dozen divers on a given day, and sometimes you get the place to yourself.

theskull

crpntr133:

I think I sense a trip to Mermet in the near future! :eyebrow:

crpntr133:

Was it $20 or $15? I don't remember it though... Yes.. It is worth.

In addition, there are many shelters and tables we can share around. And, air fill station is also great and clean....

Will you go?

BTW, it is going to be beautiful weather this weekend.. Let me know if you want to jump into the water. Min and I will be out on Friday or Saturday....:D

mike_s:
Mermet Springs has a 727, not a 747. HUGE Difference.

(The 727 was sunk for the movie US Marshalls if I'm not mistaken.)

The only other sunken large jets for dive spots are a 727 off the coast of Miami, a 737 sunk off British Columbia, and Portage Quarry (in Ohio I think) just sunk a small private type jet. Madison Quarry has a F4 fighter in it and there are several fighter planes sunk off the coastlines that are diveable. Several other places like you said have smaller cessna type planes.

Gilboa Quarry in Ohio has a Gulfstream dual turboprop (G-159) sunk at a depth of 35 ft. It has been there for several years (I saw it in 2001 I think). It is not a HUGE plane, but pretty cool to see in a quarry!

According to Mermet's web page it is $20. I have only been once so I don't remember what I paid. I would assume that it was $20. I think Portage also sunk a personal jet this year. I would be game for a Gilboa dive, not this weekend. I threw my back out on Sunday and am still taking it easy. With any luck I will be back up and running soon. I also have to send my regs in for their annual.

Shepman:
I talked with Dave from Cerulean at that 270 350 1156 (Cell) number. They are open for business, but in hiatus for the winter. He'd open it if any hard core Scuba Boarders wanted to do a winter dive, but his main season is April thru October.

Hey, that Mermet Springs place looks like a blast and is actually closer to where I stay.

Any good reports from Mermet?

DH and I LOVE Mermet. Lots of cool things sunk underwater: 727, Cessnas, school bus, ambulance, train car, and much more! Plus BIG spoonbill.
We're there about every other weekend. :D

It is $20 or if you go there a lot (like we do), you can purchase a season pass for $200.

To the OP... I had also heard through the grapevine by several divers that they were closing...

jdarnall2001:
DH and I LOVE Mermet. Lots of cool things sunk underwater: 727, Cessnas, school bus, ambulance, train car, and much more! Plus BIG spoonbill.
We're there about every other weekend. :D

It is $20 or if you go there a lot (like we do), you can purchase a season pass for $200.

To the OP... I had also heard through the grapevine by several divers that they were closing...

we make a club trip every year to Mermet, and it is well attended as Glen and his crew have embraced the concept of customer service - once the campground is upgraded a bit, it will be the best place in Midwest, in spite of the averahe viz - the 727 is awesome, as is the trails, the petting zoo, the spoonbill, the shelters, etc

Back
Top Bottom