MacDive: Nick Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a firm believer of always logging and downloading a dive. though most of the times I don't fill out much more the what the computer downloaded.

I have enough crap. I don’t need more and that includes paper logs. I think the last paper log I did was in 2017, as I got first Perdix in 2018. Hell, I’ve even gone paperless for CCR build checklist.

Just curious, what kind of support cases are you needing help with? Or is this more for new feature requests?

I'm pretty happy with MacDive. Some things are a little clunky, but it works well enough and happy I can sync between phone and laptop.

I’ve used the Dive Log app on iOS and macOS and it has pretty close parity to MacDive.

I won’t switch from MacDive though until I can’t use it any longer.

Dive Log is great, except syncing between Phone/Tablet versions and Desktop is... impossible? Convoluted? (Phone<->Tablet is easy.)

MacDive is great, full stop. Subsurface seems like the most likely to have ongoing support but the UI is... rough.

Diving as often as we do, 6-8x per week, year round, we synch our watches to MacDive nightly and my better half/DPFL will note the direction (N or S) we dove, if it was a reef restoration dive (which we do often), and also the critters observed which we could report to fish.org if needed With occasional uploaded pics.

Has anyone done any testing on other MacOS, iPadOS, iPhoneOS supported apps that have similar features/functions. While many of us have loved MacDive, unless Nick has passed the torch to someone or pops back online, it’s always good to understand our options…. 👍

When I had a MacBook Pro Retina, I used Subsurface. I also use Subsurface-mobile on my iPad and iPhone.

When it was old enough that I needed a new laptop with more horsepower, I went back to Windows (bought a Dell).

I installed the Windows version of Subsurface on my new laptop, put in my Subsurface Cloud credentials, and my log automagically appeared.

Subsurface is free, open source software. It runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux. The companion mobile app runs on iOS and Android. The Cloud storage is not mandatory, but it is free. But, if you want to do like I do and download your log from your dive computer to your mobile device while you're still on the boat ride in, then edit it on your laptop, the automatic synchronization for that does require you use the free Cloud storage.

Subsurface also has the best dive planner module I have used. I like it much better than Multi-Deco (which I do own). I have my students use Subsurface when I'm teaching the dive planning portion of tech classes.

Subsurface supports just about every dive computer you can think of. My Subsurface log has all the dives from every dive computer I have owned, which includes Oceanic, Hollis, Seabear, and a whole bunch of Shearwaters.

Log software that does not tie me to any particular brand of dive computer or any particular operating system on my desktop/laptop computer is awesome. Being free and working well is amazing!

The UI in Subsurface is ... unusual. It is a result of having one base of code that runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

There was definitely some learning curve to it when I started with it. But now, I find that it works well and I don't have any trouble navigating it at all.

Also, there is a Google Groups email group for Subsurface support. Once you subscribe to the group (which is, of course, free), then an email to the group for help generally yields very quick answers - usually directly from one of the developers that actually works on the code.

FWIW his profile on the Mac-Dive Forums shows (as of now) that he was active there on 15/Aug/2023 (3 days ago)

1692385261375.png

I want to like Subsurface. I really do. But man that UI is just so horrible. It makes Shearwater's look good, and that's saying something.
Wow - that is saying something. Shearwater really needs to exit the dive log game or pay someone to design something worthwhile.

If we move off M-D, I really want something we can export from/into for the thousands of M-D logged dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom