Shearwater Cloud or MacDive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Mac-Dive and I’ve been very happy with it. I chose it because I had a pile of dives from something other than Shearwater, and then wanted to use the Shearwater data as well. I haven’t used the Shearwater app much. It is no fault of Mac-Dive, but I’m not impressed that Apple stopped supporting the older Bluetooth devices. I can’t get my Petrel 1 to download anymore. The Petrel 2 works fine. I think the Teric is new enough that it shouldn’t be a problem. Mac-Dive tech support has been amazing.

I use Mac-Dive and I’ve been very happy with it. I chose it because I had a pile of dives from something other than Shearwater, and then wanted to use the Shearwater data as well. I haven’t used the Shearwater app much. It is no fault of Mac-Dive, but I’m not impressed that Apple stopped supporting the older Bluetooth devices. I can’t get my Petrel 1 to download anymore. The Petrel 2 works fine. I think the Teric is new enough that it shouldn’t be a problem. Mac-Dive tech support has been amazing.

yeah, same experience. I push my Petrel 1 to Shearwater and to Subsurface (and update the time) via a spare Android I have. For CCR dives I just use my Nerd 2 for the data, or glance at the shearwater logs. I have contemplated upgrading to the latest Petrel though. That Petrel 1 also refuses to connect to any laptop/desk I throw at it. I figured my 8 year old windows laptop I had lying around would work, since bluetooth would be about the same vintage and never could get it working.

If you look at the release notes, Petrel 1 is now the outlier in firmware updates (not quite banished to the Predator shadow realm), so I would assume anything made post Petrel 1 should be fine. I can confirm that Perdix AI, Nerd 2, and Teric all connect just fine (at least to the iOS client).

I use Subsurface for my log (and dive planning). I use the Shearwater Cloud only for firmware updates.

I have a Predator controller on my rEvo and it syncs into Subsurface just fine. It used to sync fine into my Android phone. Then I got an iPhone (which sucks, compared to Android) which only supports Bluetooth LE, not the full BT. So, I have to sync my Predator to Subsurface via my laptop Bluetooth.

My NERD2s and Terics sync via BT to Subsurface-mobile on my phone.

Subsurface is not just free, it also has free Cloud storage. I used to sync my rEvo Predator to my phone on the boat ride in and then it would all just "be there" when I opened Subsurface on my laptop to add notes/info.

And Subsurface will run on Windows, Mac, Linux, and iOS and Android. I use it on an iPhone, an iPad, and a Windows laptop. And used to use it on a Macbook Pro and a Linux Mint laptop.

Subsurface will also download directly from just about any dive computer on the market.

I enjoy that I have one dive log and it contains all the dive data from every different dive computer I have owned. And that I can look forward to using that same dive log for years into the future, no matter what brand dive computer I may change to some day or what operating system I may change my laptop or phone to.

I find the Subsurface user interface to be a bit quirky - which I attribute to being designed to work basically the same on any of those different platforms. But, it doesn't bother me now that I've learned how to use it. Maybe walking on Legos for the first few days. But now it's a nice walk on a sandy beach. :)

I use both, but MacDive is my primary log app. It has so many awesome features. I use the Shearwater app primarily for a backup logbook and updating firmware on my Teric.

I have a Teric, a Samsung S23 (with Android of course), and an Imac at home. I use the Shearwater cloud and it works perfectly with everything. Easy to use, zero problem. Now if I don't have a Shearwater computer in the future I don't know what will happen with my log dives...

I tried MacDive on my MacBook Air. I had no problem with downloading dives from my peregrine so I paid for the license. I haven't put MacDive on my iPhone since I can directly connect MacBook to peregrine. Is there any reason to put MacDive on my phone?

I also use both, but SW Cloud only as a backup as lots of features are missing.

Free divelogs.org also as a backup

I tried MacDive on my MacBook Air. I had no problem with downloading dives from my peregrine so I paid for the license. I haven't put MacDive on my iPhone since I can directly connect MacBook to peregrine. Is there any reason to put MacDive on my phone?
Yes, you’ll always have your log with you on your phone! It’s come in handy before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom