certification process questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the same situation as you. I got certed back in august and have been planning what to do next since then. Learning stuff online is great, but could never make up for experience. Hell if it were up to me I was doing a tech diving class in America right now. But I'm gonna take it slow (what I find very difficult) and master the things I want. If you could get a job at your lds as dm I would absolutely take it.

Jord

Diving is equal parts knowledge and skill. That may be an overstatement though. There's a lot more skill needed to dive and to put your knowledge to work. It's like getting a drivers license online: you might be able to memorize a lot of rules, but there is nothing like being on the road to prepare you for driving. Nothing you can read can help you to develop situational awareness. That's something that has to be done in situ and not in an easy chair. Nothing you can read can increase your water skills. Again, that's something that is earned incrementally on each and every dive. Nothing you can read can help you to recognize bad habits in other divers. That has to be developed over time, AFTER you've developed a lot of good habits yourself.

If you want to learn a lot, then immerse yourself right here. Gain some perspective from peeps who are diving and maybe even teaching on a regular basis. Learn from their mistakes, their failures and even better, their triumphs. If you read the texts now, then be sure to re-read them again just before you take your classes.

As for negativity or flaming, I just don't see that in this thread. People disagreeing with your methodology is not them being negative as much as them caring to tell you how they feel. You asked for opinions and you got them. If you want a rubber stamp to do what you want to do anyway, well I'm sure there's a "RubberStampBoard.com somewhere. It's just not here. Do I have negative feelings about zero to hero divemasters, instructors or even captains who don't have the experience to back their certs? Oh definitely. There's a hurry up mentality in getting to be a professional that seems to circumvent getting enough experience to really have the ability to take another person's life in your hands. Don't kid yourself thinking otherwise. I've seen and read about too many divers put in peril, injured and even killed by those with the certs but not enough experience. Do you think I have the right to be negative about that?

It's my humble opinion that you would do better picking up and reading some books about diving before you get too far. "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury, "Shadow Divers" by Robert Kurson, "Diver Down" by Mike Ange, "Helldiver's Rodeo" by Humberto Fontova, "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell, "The Six Skills" by Steve Lewis and last of all, the NOAA manual on Scuba Diving. Chew on those for a bit and then start on your cyber diver program.

If this doesn't help put it in perspective, then let me introduce you to a few of those professionals who have had people die in their care. They are emotional train wrecks and for good reason.

I applaud you for doing all the "bookwork" online. I did all my courses the old way, but still re-read a couple of pages each day of one manual or another. I too, always got the manuals months ahead of time and studied the Hell out of them. If it were me, I would concentrate on one thing at a time.--ei. you study Rescue then do the in water work, then maybe move on. But that's just me. From your OP I get the feeling that you are exceptionally comfortable in the water and comfortable with diving, despite your very limited dive experience. This, of course, would be a plus. I also was very comfortable in the water for 40 years and took to diving quickly. I did Rescue after 26 dives, which went OK, but I probably should've had a few more. I started DM with 158 dives over 4 years and found it very challenging, taking over a year to complete (due to both my shortcomings and scheduling problems). Just food for thought.

I think people are getting some wrong ideas from what you posted, which is not unusual on the internet. Some are concerned that you are going to think that, having done the online classrooms, you are now certified at that level. Some seem to think that exploring the intellectual content of classes above your diving level may have a deleterious effect on your decision-making or judgment.

Personally, when I finished my OW class, I bought the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which was billed as the textbook for the DM class, and I read it cover to cover. (I also went on to read virtually anything I could find on line about diving, decompression, and related topics.) I totally understand enthusiasm and curiosity. I recommended the UTD online classes because I think it's a great idea to broaden one's exposure to ideas and opinions.

I wonder what you bought for gear, against 99% of the recommendations? If you valued our input so little, why did you seek it?

I'm in the same situation as you. I got certed back in august and have been planning what to do next since then. Learning stuff online is great, but could never make up for experience. Hell if it were up to me I was doing a tech diving class in America right now. But I'm gonna take it slow (what I find very difficult) and master the things I want. If you could get a job at your lds as dm I would absolutely take it.

Jord

good luck to you buddy! I hope everything works out for you. I will keep an eye out for your posts and offer a glimmer of encouragement in an obviously silted up environment.

I would have a hard time giving credence to anyone who tells someone that hasn't even started on AOW that they'd make a great DM. I would never tell a student that. It sounds too much like "you have a nice fat wallet. Let me help you lighten it."

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would have a hard time giving credence to anyone who tells someone that hasn't even started on AOW that they'd make a great DM. I would never tell a student that. It sounds too much like "you have a nice fat wallet. Let me help you lighten it."

I was wondering about that as well. What, you'd have to go through OW like Superman or something to receive those words?

I think people are getting some wrong ideas from what you posted, which is not unusual on the internet. Some are concerned that you are going to think that, having done the online classrooms, you are now certified at that level. Some seem to think that exploring the intellectual content of classes above your diving level may have a deleterious effect on your decision-making or judgment.

Personally, when I finished my OW class, I bought the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which was billed as the textbook for the DM class, and I read it cover to cover. (I also went on to read virtually anything I could find on line about diving, decompression, and related topics.) I totally understand enthusiasm and curiosity. I recommended the UTD online classes because I think it's a great idea to broaden one's exposure to ideas and opinions.

I wonder what you bought for gear, against 99% of the recommendations? If you valued our input so little, why did you seek it?

I absolutely value your input. I started a thread asking what brands to buy and what brands to stay away from. it turned into a bunch of pages where people argued amongst themselves about me renting gear for 6 months first, buying a jacket bcd or back inflate. some members sent me private messages with no agenda to avoid all the arguing and offer really solid advice. I can only assume that they didn't want to have to defend their opinions against those who disagreed with it.
I chose to follow the opinions of those who private messaged me and didn't stretch out their ego's or debating skills to offer me sound information.
as far as gear I bought:
atomic frameless mask and snorkel,
atomic z2x DIN reg
atomic titanium ss1
oceanic geo 2 wrist computer
tusa 3 gauge console w/ compass
scubapro pure tek BP&W complete setup w/ STA and quick release weight pouches
Henderson aqualock wetsuit/ hood/ boots/ gloves
and I am waiting on atomics blade fins to come out.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 09:49 PM ----------

anything is possible, could it be a combination of being extremely comfortable and proficient in the water as well as possessing valuable leadership skills developed in the military that were recognized at the same time?
as far as them getting money from me, I only purchased a quick disconnect from them an the OW and AOW courses. They are into my wallet for less than $500. I purchased the rescue and will purchase the DM classes directly from SDI. They will still make something for the check out dives, but anyone would.

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but there is always the possibility your instructor needs DM certifications so as to get her Master Instructor credentials. I honestly don't know how she could be so certain you'd make a great DM and instructor....she has barely seen you in the water. It is always nice to be an upbeat, positive and encouraging instructor, but when it is based on almost nothing but your obvious enthusiasm, it does not pass my BS test. Sorry. Jeez, just go diving. You can't have it all as quickly as you'd like. At some point you'll get told it is all about mastery, it is not time-based. But you honestly have not mastered anything yet. You are trying to read a book about mountain climbing and purchasing all the right equipment, and signing up for Everest. Go read some other threads on here; your attitude is what gets you killed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom