cenotes experience/certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giggi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What kind of diving experience or certification is required before the dive ops will take you diving the cenotes?

OW is enough for the ones I did, Dos Ojos. It was a very easy dive and an awsome experience. Can't wait to do another.

The cenotes I went through were very much overhead enviroment, but openings were not far apart, and the DM was a certified cave diver.

As mentioned, open water is enough to go on a cenote dive. i believe the rule for OW on cenote dives is that they need to stay within 120ft of access to surface air. there is plenty of interesting diving within these limitations.

Hmm...sounds sketchy to me to have OW people in an overhead environment. I know it's done a lot, but really, why should the cenotes be the exception for an *open water* trained diver?

What do the cave divers here think of this practice?

There are a few caverns in N. Florida that are considered "safe" for OW divers. They are fairly safe, but I have heard of deaths occurring in some of these, so probably not the best idea. But if you really think about it, any tube you swim through in the Caribbean or off of Hawaii is also an overhead, but it's done all the time. I think it gives OW divers a false sense of security in overhead environments. Overhead environments can be extremely dangerous, even the easy "resort" ones.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
why should the cenotes be the exception for an *open water* trained diver?
Mexico dude

I'm not a cave diver and don't have any desire to be, but I have done some cenote dives as a AOW diver.

Like with any other dive, it is ultimately your responsibility to only do dives you are comfortable with, regardless of what the minimum training requirement for the dive may be. Cenote cavern dives are not for everyone. (Same as night dives, swim throughs and deep dives are not for everyone). You cannot do a cenote cavern dive on your own unless you are cavern or cave certified. As an OW diver you can do them with a qualified guide. If you don't have near perfect bouyancy skills, or have any issues with being in closed in or dark spaces, don't even consider one of these dives regardless of your cert level or how good the guide is.

Technically, the cavern sections of a cenote cave system will always have natural light visable and be within a specific distance to an exit point (sorry, don't recall the exact distance off hand). Choose a reputable, trained, cave guide who makes safety a priority and you will have a safe and unique diving experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom