cenotes experience/certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
I agree, just because the line is there doesn't mean it can be trusted. You have to learn it first. My point was that I've heard of caves in Mexico where you'll come up to a "T" that branches off in 5 different directions. Mark it, swim on, and come across another "T" that branches in 6 different directions. That's a little different than what's found in Florida, and I don't think those extra Ts were laid by Florida divers (although I could be wrong on that). I've had limited experience in cave diving so far, but what I've seen and heard is that most of those "T"s would be jumps or gaps in Florida, not tied directly to the gold line like in Mexico. It could be dived safely, but it could become very confusing too.

You're right in that now days jumps would be prefered. That mine in Missouri that I mentioned had a real mess in it and a few divers have been gradually replacing it. I think the guy who did the original UW explaoration was a "Florida" cave diver though. It's just more convenient sometimes to just tie off and go especially when you're not laying the line with tourists in mind. Whether in Mexico or elsewhere, I think you can expect that lines in caves off the beaten path to be layed in a less "refined" manor. From what I've heard that is indeed the case in Mexico. Still trained cave divers should have been taught to cope...when in doubt, tie off, place a marker or whatever.

When my wife and I first started diving mine Lamotte we went very slow. We limited the number of intersections that we passed and at each intersection we each placed our own marker. The vis can also be bad and the water is COLD. There's no doubt that you have to keep your mind on what you're doing and think about how you're going to get out before thinking of how you're going to get further in.

I've got over 55 dives in the caves around Akumal, cave dives. Yes, there are T's and questionable arrow placement. When in doubt, mark it with your own non-directional marker. Heck, even if I'm not doubting or leading, I still mark it. The lines also change from dive to dive depending on who was in there before you and what "they" thought was "right". You have to be on your toes and pay attention because you never know when you'll run into a "new traffic pattern". Even if the systems were explored by FL cave divers, I guarantee you that most of the line has been changed for the reason I just stated.

I am going to try something different by offering 3 days of Cenote diving, where you get to enjoy the great caverns and earn your cavern certification - if you meet the required skills. There is no additional cost for this.

The time requirements are from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and we will do 2 dives per day for 3 days.

Dennis

Dennis, in 2007, you are going to meet me. Trish recommended you, and this thread has driven me crazy. I got the IMAX "Journey into Amazing Caves" for Christmas, and it hasn't helped a bit. I think your new idea is irresistably seductive.

Pez de Diablo:
I am going to try something different by offering 3 days of Cenote diving, where you get to enjoy the great caverns and earn your cavern certification - if you meet the required skills. There is no additional cost for this.

The time requirements are from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm and we will do 2 dives per day for 3 days.

Dennis

I think that's a fantastic idea as long as it's profitable enough for you. The book work/lecture isn't all that much and it's interesting. The dry land and OW drills don't take all that long and can be really entertaining. The class itself will probably do more to improve the overall skills of most divers than any other class they'll ever take so it has value even if they never enter a cavern again.

Those who choose this rout to entering a cavern for the first time will enoy and appreciate it all the more.

MikeFerrara:
Those who choose this rout to entering a cavern for the first time will enoy and appreciate it all the more.

We're choosing this route for our second time visiting the cenotes. Just signed up with 4 days of cavern diving with Dennis in February. Three days for class, and 1 day for fun.

-Don

ae3753:
We're choosing this route for our second time visiting the cenotes. Just signed up with 4 days of cavern diving with Dennis in February. Three days for class, and 1 day for fun.

-Don

Have fun Don and let us know how it goes when you get back.

Will do, and thanks Mike, Dennis, and Stephen for the lively discussion.

-Don

Hope you have as much fun as I did Don. Just got back from Playa on Sunday. I did 2 Cavern dives with Dennis on the 13th. Just myself & Dennis, one of the nicest guys you can meet. An awesome diver-instructor-mentor
Kelly

I just got back yesterday from Mexico and did a 2 tank dive in Chac Mool. The water was almost 80 degrees and the visibility was incredible! Our first dive led us into a very tight cavern, about 3 to 4 feet from top to bottom and no light in front or behind for about 7 or 8 minutes. Then we hit the Halocline, where fresh water and salt water mix, kinda like a thermocline but far more "wavy", like diving in baby oil, made for lousy vis. Eventually we were led to a sign with a picture of the grim reaper on it saying "go no farther, preserve your life, over 300 divers have died in these caverns" Nice touch! We went out of Cancun with Scuba Cancun, great guys especially Arturo, Dive Master and Caset, Videographer. Caset, spelled wrong, followed us for 3 days diving reefs in Cancun and Cozumel and the Cenotes and video taped us and burned everything to DVD's for only $75.00 each! Any worries about claustrophobia, don't go. Great dive, don't miss out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom