Cenotes and "Montezuma's Revenge"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo_j_k

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

In just a few short weeks I'll be embarking on a trip to Mexico. Cozumel for the first week and the Riviera Maya for the second (yipeee!!!!). One of the dives I'll be doing are the Cenotes and I am very much looking forward to it. I do have a quick question for the group though - since the Cenotes are in fresh water, has anyone ever come down with a bad case of - to put it politely - "stomach issues" after diving or snorkeling them?

Thanks all,

J Kent

Hi all,

In just a few short weeks I'll be embarking on a trip to Mexico. Cozumel for the first week and the Riviera Maya for the second (yipeee!!!!). One of the dives I'll be doing are the Cenotes and I am very much looking forward to it. I do have a quick question for the group though - since the Cenotes are in fresh water, has anyone ever come down with a bad case of - to put it politely - "stomach issues" after diving or snorkeling them?

Thanks all,

J Kent

Don't drink the water :wink:
I have never had any stomach issues in Mexico and I have been in Cenotes quite a few time.

I do have a quick question for the group though - since the Cenotes are in fresh water, has anyone ever come down with a bad case of - to put it politely - "stomach issues" after diving or snorkeling them?

J Kent

I just returned from two weeks of diving in the Cenotes (my third trip this year), and we often injest quite a bit of cenote water during our dives with no ill effects. However, it is a good idea to put a few drops of "ear beer" (isoproply alcohol and vinager) in your ears after diving in the cenotes as many divers get ear infections after multiple exposures to the cenote waters.

As for "Montezuma's Revenge", I pretty much eat anything I want to in the area and have never had a problem. My Doctor once gave me some excellent advice about Mexico, "Drink Coffee in the morning (boiled), Beer during the day (carbonated) and Tequila at night (Alcohol) and you'll never have a problem". Of course we modify that a bit for diving, but it works! :D

Cave Diving Photos from last week.

Hi all,

I do have a quick question for the group though - since the Cenotes are in fresh water, has anyone ever come down with a bad case of - to put it politely - "stomach issues" after diving or snorkeling them?

Thanks all,

J Kent

Never a problem, don't drink from the tap or drink ice tea. The only two times I have had digestive issues were both due to ice tea, no problems using tap water for brushing your teeth. Be sure to keep yourself hydrated (I start a couple of days before I travel) and take care of your ears.

I was in akumal 3 times this year, and no such issues.

After about 7 days the local diet does start to upset my stomach a little but nothing really serious honestly.

The hardest thing for us to remember was when going to brush our teeth. You program yourself for so long to just use the tap that it's REALLY hard to remember to use bottled water in a glass.

That and in the shower for some reason both my wife and I will occasionally have our mouths open or otherwise take water into our mouths. Gotta remember NOT to.

We just got back from Playa and stayed at Riu Palace Riviera Maya - they had stickers on the mirrors indicating that the water was NOT POTABLE which helped jog the memory! Neither my wife or I had any issues this time. Last year we were in Tulum and we both got a little bit of revenge. It wasn't bad, we were still able to do everything we wanted to. That could have been iced tea related now that I think of it. That's why I take boydski's Dr.'s advice (modified) - Pepsi Light in the AM, Cervesa all day and Tequila / Cervesa at night!!

I did a trip to Coz in March and Playa in October. While I tried to be careful, I did end up "explosive" in Coz which cost me a day of diving. Fortunately my physician wife told me what drugs to take and they saved the rest of the trip for me.

I did NOT have any significant problems in October.

When I go back, I'll probably start taking prophylactic meds as prescribed by my "family physician." Good luck.

BTW, I've never had any such problems in any of my other travels which do include several different third world countries. Maybe it was just my time?

One Sunday afternoon, a local brought a conch up onto the dock, pulverized it on a board, washed it off using water from a nearby hose, cut it up into small pieces, and then another quick rince from the garden hose. Then all of the meat was placed into a plastic container.
A few limes were squeezed into the plastic container, an onion, some cilantro, and a bit of fresh habenero, along with some salt. I ran up the street and bought some Dos Equis to split with locals. We sat on the dock, sharing the best tasting ceviche, ever!
Montezuma did get the last laugh, though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom