Cellphone network frequency question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The network speed in your picture reflects that of whichever WIFI network you were connected to at that time. It's NOT speed of your Telco cell.

It does not. That just shows that WiFi was on when that screenshot was taken. You do realize one can turn WiFi off or on while the same image appears on a phone's screen, right?. It's most definitely not the speed of my DSL. Here's the original screenshot including the bank ad that I didn't especially want to post (taken before I'd turned WiFi on so I could post on ScubaBoard without burning up my Telcel internet credit):

IMG_3900.PNG

I got the report without the ad by re-loading the result from my results log, shown here (with WiFi on!):

IMG_4034.PNG

Note that the previously-posted results are clearly marked as "LTE", as are fairly similar numbers from a few days previously. Also note the WiFi speeds on 08 January 2018 a few minutes before an LTE test. Results prior to 08 January 2018 and after 14 May 2017 are T-Mobile in New Hampshire, USA or ComCast, USA. The others are Telmex in Cozumel (WiFi) and T-Mobile in Cozumel (LTE).

So what makes it so difficult to believe that a huge telecom company can't provide the speeds that I posted just because it's in Mexico? Is there something about those numbers that's inconsistent with 4G LTE?

Something that occurs to me is that if your ISP is reporting its own upload/download speeds to you there may be a conflict of interests.

I don't really understand what you're saying. I'm using an app (Speedtest by Ookla) that's fairly widely used for testing speeds accurately enough for troubleshooting purposes. The app identifies the provider and shows that along with the results. Did that make you think that Telcel itself was providing me with those numbers?

I don't really understand what you're saying. I'm using an app (Speedtest by Ookla) that's fairly widely used for testing speeds accurately enough for troubleshooting purposes. The app identifies the provider and shows that along with the results. Did that make you think that Telcel itself was providing me with those numbers?
Not necessarily. I do know that ISP's offer speed testing, and I am suspicious of how they report on themselves. Your results may be from a reliable independent source; I don't know.

Actually @mstevens is reporting the network speed of an unknown mystery router. Perhaps if he photoshopped the WIFI indicator out of the picture, we'd all believe him and the speed would be accurate.

OK. What speeds do YOU get using Telcel in Cozumel? What speeds would you believe or expect?

I'm guessing @mstevens doesn't realize what's going on.

Perhaps that's the case. Please run your own test in Cozumel (using a Telcel SIM, please) and post the result.

You do realize I could take screenshots of that same result with WiFi on and off, with different SIMs installed, or with the cellular radio on or off and that would change the displayed state of the phone each time without changing the graphical representation of the results from that one test, right?

So, for those who presume that for some unfathomable reason it's important to me to misrepresent Telcel 4G speeds, what do you imagine is in it for me? What do you think "real" speeds are as of about nowadays? Why would you think I'm happier believing that I have to pay by the GB to get fast transfer speeds on my phone but have to contend with much slower speeds on my home WiFi?

For those who presume I'm a moron who mistook the speed results attributable to my Telmex home WiFi for transfer speeds of 4G LTE on my phone, please, for the love of Mike, PLEASE come to my house and make those wired internet speeds real. You could check LTE on your phone at the same time, post all the results you want, and I'd ply you with daiquiris on the terrace.

Last edited:
Your results may be from a reliable independent source; I don't know.

I gave you the source. It's pretty widely used. Feel free to check it out (there are browser-based and app versions). I haven't been aware of any particular criticisms of it vs other "speed test" methods. Are you?

Last edited:
You just don't get it.

You just don't get it.

OK. I give up. What don't I get?

You still have not said what's difficult to believe about the speed result I posted (apart from the WiFi icon). What do you think is a typical LTE speed in Cozumel? And, seriously, if you can get me speeds like that on my wired internet at the house I will literally fly you to Cozumel and put you up for a week so you can do it.

OK. What speeds do YOU get using Telcel in Cozumel? What speeds would you believe or expect?

Perhaps that's the case. Please run your own test in Cozumel (using a Telcel SIM, please) and post the result.

You do realize I could take screenshots of that same result with WiFi on and off, with different SIMs installed, or with the cellular radio on or off and that would change the displayed state of the phone each time without changing the graphical representation of the results from that one test, right?

So, for those who presume that for some unfathomable reason it's important to me to misrepresent Telcel 4G speeds, what do you imagine is in it for me? What do you think "real" speeds are as of about nowadays? Why would you think I'm happier believing that I have to pay by the GB to get fast transfer speeds on my phone but have to contend with much slower speeds on my home WiFi?

For those who presume I'm a moron who mistook the speed results attributable to my Telmex home WiFi for transfer speeds of 4G LTE on my phone, please, for the love of Mike, PLEASE come to my house and make those wired internet speeds real. You could check LTE on your phone at the same time, post all the results you want, and I'd ply you with daiquiris on the terrace.
Whoah. I don't think you have a vested interest. The icons in your screenshot indicated you were connected to wifi. You indicated that download boost was on, and what that does is splits the bandwidth usage between wifi and 4g to achieve the highest combined speed. I simply assumed you didn't know that was the case. I humbly apologize as I've clearly insulted you.

Honestly I'd love to go test the speeds in Cozumel again. I'll do it next time I'm there this June. I wish I was there now.

As for what I expect to see? I'm not sure what they are serving up right now but in 2015 as I said I got less than 1Mbps with four bars of signal. It was insufficient speed to use google voice or several other voip programs. It was painful to upload single photos to facebook from my cell phone. Maybe something was broken on their uplink back then. Maybe they've upgraded - I don't know.

OK. I give up. What don't I get?

You still have not said what's difficult to believe about the speed result I posted (apart from the WiFi icon). What do you think is a typical LTE speed in Cozumel? And, seriously, if you can get me speeds like that on my wired internet at the house I will literally fly you to Cozumel and put you up for a week so you can do it.

Does that offer apply to everyone? :p That's a great offer. I'm ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom