Cellphone network frequency question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something that occurs to me is that if your ISP is reporting its own upload/download speeds to you there may be a conflict of interests.
Shirley an ISP would never dream of manipulating bandwidth and prioritizing speed tests to make themselves look better. :rofl3:

Something that occurs to me is that if your ISP is reporting its own upload/download speeds to you there may be a conflict of interests.

Actually @mstevens is reporting the network speed of an unknown mystery router. Perhaps if he photoshopped the WIFI indicator out of the picture, we'd all believe him and the speed would be accurate.

Screenshot_20180126-111946.jpg Woohoo! Bordering on the worlds best 4G here? Seriously though, I'm guessing @mstevens doesn't realize what's going on. You can disable the wifi connection (without having to disable "wifi boost") by clicking the wifi logo on your pulldown menu. Do that, and re-test. Otherwise you're (at best) testing only the wifi connection that you are connected to.

Screenshot_20180126-112124.jpg

I got in on the Sprint world add on for free. I get free calls and texts and 1 GB a month there. It used to lock into Telcel, but now is locking on mov-estar. Works fine, though telcel was better. I think the current free Sprint world give you free texts, 2 gb of data and they hit you per minute for the calls.

I even had decent coverage on the east side half way down to Punta Morena.

The only time I had problems with speed and connection was when it connected to the Telmex wifi at the house. On the bright side, I expect we will be getting fiber shortly!

Last edited:
I got in on the Sprint world add on for free. I get free calls and texts and 1 GB a month there. It used to lock into Telcel, but now is locking on moviestar. Works fine, though telcel was better.!
Tmobile was doing that last year, it kept locking on Movestar as default and the data rate was spotty. Around December it started staying on Telcel again. I believe both are owned by Carlos Slim. When the Telcel cable got cut on 08 Nov 17 the network went down, (no phones, no credit cards, no Pemex gas, everyone was blaming Trump) my Tmobile service thru movestar still worked, in fact I was using on the boat below Columbia shallows.

Last edited:
Tmobile was doing that last year, it kept locking on Moviestar as default and the data rate was spotty. Around December it started staying on Telcel again. I believe both are owned by Carlos Sims. When the Telcel cable got cut on 08 Nov 17 the network went down, (no phones, no credit cards, no Pemex gas, everyone was blaming Trump) my Tmobile service thru moviestar still worked, in fact I was using on the boat below Columbia shallows.

That's the best slip ever. You mean Carlos Slim. Although "sims" works quite well given his biz!

And that's MOVESTAR. Pronounced MO VEH STA. No film stars are involved here either!

That's the best slip ever. You mean Carlos Slim. Although "sims" works quite well given his biz!

And that's MOVESTAR. Pronounced MO VEH STA. No film stars are involved here either!
Fixed it, last call for more edits. :(

I'm pretty sure mine was on MOVIESTAR. Might have been just for me?

It did hook up on Telcel a few times last week. For a little while last year it hooked up on something that just had numbers on for the provider and that one was a little poor. MY moviestar was much better.

Might just be the beautiful people get the moviestar? :wink:

All this misinformation about GSM and CDMA. New Verizon phones use LTE (5G). Call them and enable international travel to Mexico. Your plan gets extended to include Mexico for $5/day.

Just call them and activate. You only pay for each day if you use the phone. Your data speeds may not always be 5G and can sink to 3G or even 2G at times. Enjoy your trip.

I have T-Mobile and didn't have to do anything except keep going to Mexico. I have a pay-as-you-go plan and they charge me $.50 US per text and $1.95 US per minute. This may sound expensive but I only pay about $3.50 US per month for service and rarely need to make a call in Mexico. I don't have a data plan, I just use WiFi. My GPS works without any data plan (Here Maps). My girlfriend has an Unlimited T-Mobile plan and I think she pays something like $5 US per month for Mexico service. To me $5 per day sounds outrageous. There are still phone booths in Mexico and many hotels will let you make a local call for free or for very little.

For quite some time I was texting from Mexico to the US and wasn't paying any extra :) They finally got wise to me. I can still use email on my phone for free with WiFi. I'd rather spend the money for diving and eating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom