Cell question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T-Mobile has the 55 plan...55 years and older. $55.00 month less $5 for auto pay with unlimited data and voice in 200 plus countries...no brainer. but don't rush to be 55 or over! Got a new FREE Samsung S20E too boot!

T-Mobile does remain a US phone: When calling the US while you're in Mexico, you dial just as you would at home. Conversely, if you wanted to call someone in Mexico while you're there, you need to dial internationally.

Issues?? Nope, none, never, and there's never a charge for calling.

Had T-mobile for 5 or 6 years now, and every time I think about how much money I gave to Verizon, I vomit.
It seems that Mexico upgraded their systems recently, as pointed out by Dave Dillehay. To call locally in Mexico, land line or cellular you no longer need dial internationally. I dial the 10 digit number and it connects.

It seems that Mexico upgraded their systems recently, as pointed out by Dave Dillehay. To call locally in Mexico, land line or cellular you no longer need dial internationally. I dial the 10 digit number and it connects.

Yes, I'm aware of Dave's post.

That's not how I understood the new and simplified dialing rules.
I don't see how you're going to connect to a Mexican number when calling from the US unless you tell the system which country you're trying to reach. You're going to have to tell the system which country it is in order to override the default, which will be your and the phones home country.

Seems to me that when you are in Mexico, your phone becomes a Mexican phone.

It is not consistent. Different carriers and different countries will be different.

As an example, my brother travels extensively around SE Asia. He has AT&T. I don't remember which country does what, but hypothetically, when he is in Korea, his phone remains a US phone, and he would call home just like always. When he is in Japan, his phone becomes a Japanese phone, and he must enter the international codes for the US to call home.

In summary, and as I understand it: when calling from within Mexico, the prefixes of 01, 044, and 045 are no longer required. Also no longer need to add a 1 when calling a Mexican cell phone when calling from the US, (or a US phone).

Calling a Mexican cell phone from a Mexican cell phone - dial area code and number.
Calling a Mexican cell phone from a US phone - dial +52 then area code and number.

I'd welcome correction.

Yes, I'm aware of Dave's post.

That's not how I understood the new and simplified dialing rules.
I don't see how you're going to connect to a Mexican number when calling from the US unless you tell the system which country you're trying to reach. You're going to have to tell the system which country it is in order to override the default, which will be your and the phones home country.

Seems to me that when you are in Mexico, your phone becomes a Mexican phone.

It is not consistent. Different carriers and different countries will be different.

As an example, my brother travels extensively around SE Asia. He has AT&T. I don't remember which country does what, but hypothetically, when he is in Korea, his phone remains a US phone, and he would call home just like always. When he is in Japan, his phone becomes a Japanese phone, and he must enter the international codes for the US to call home.

In summary, and as I understand it: when calling from within Mexico, the prefixes of 01, 044, and 045 are no longer required. Also no longer need to add a 1 when calling a Mexican cell phone when calling from the US, (or a US phone).

Calling a Mexican cell phone from a Mexican cell phone - dial area code and number.
Calling a Mexican cell phone from a US phone - dial +52 then area code and number.

I'd welcome correction.
I am not sure why but I am currently in Cozumel and when I dial either locally or home I simply dial the 10 digit number. As best I can tell Mexico is not part of the 'North American numbering plan' (NANP) but the local area code for Cozumel is 987 and it is not in use under the NANP. I am not sure of which regions in Mexico may use a beginning 3 digit number (some Mexico area code prefixes are 2 digits) that is in conflict with the NANP. I suspect in a situation where there was a conflict you may have to revert to adding a county code.

I am not sure why but I am currently in Cozumel and when I dial either locally or home I simply dial the 10 digit number. As best I can tell Mexico is not part of the 'North American numbering plan' (NANP) but the local area code for Cozumel is 987 and it is not in use under the NANP. I am not sure of which regions in Mexico may use a beginning 3 digit number (some Mexico area code prefixes are 2 digits) that is in conflict with the NANP. I suspect in a situation where there was a conflict you may have to revert to adding a county code.

Interesting.
Thanks for your post.
Won't be able to test it personally until April.
When we were there in October, I only received one call, and didn't make any. All other communication was via WhatsApp text.

Wouldn't matter - it's CANADA. We have a cell phone oligopoly and boy do we pay.

Why are cell phone plans so expensive in Canada? | Cansumer
I am a fan of T-Mobile. T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) forced the large US cell carriers to compete which led to lower pricing in the US. It wasn't very long ago that the US cell rates were absurd and like Canada (and like our cable TV is). Ruthless competition from T-Mobile forced Verizon and ATT to lower prices and offer 'me to plans'. Although they offer the 'me to plans' to compete they both seem to be primarily run by lawyers and the plan advertising always seems to be loaded with punitive 'gotcha' clauses.
When T-Mobile offered an unlimited everything US/Canada/Mexico plan I bit and switched my wife and I to it. Then to turn up the heat they did their 'we don't like taxes and fees' campaign and reduced my 2 lines from $127 USD to a flat $100. Then a out of the blue a few months later they offered a flash deal (was supposed to last 24 hours but they kept it open for a week) that if you already had 2 lines you could get an additional 3rd line for free (now my grandsons line). So for the last 4 years I have 3 unlimited lines for a flat $100. By now some of the other virtual carriers may be able to meet or beat this price but at this point T-Mobile has built some loyalty with me.
Note due to the cost of renting service from Mexico's oliarchs they did place a high speed data cap of 5 gigs a month for Mexico a few years back but I can deal with that over a standard 10 day stay.

It wasn't very long ago that the US cell rates were absurd
My first plan was 160 minutes for $35/month with 120 night & weekend minutes. Somebody had to pay for the infrastructure to come. I did my part.

Ouch.
Just paid my bill last night: $139.58 for 4 lines, unlimited everything, and as mentioned, no charge for calls to/from/within the US, Canada, and Mexico.
That is the wonderful thing about T-Mobile. The bill is what they promised, including taxes.

T-Mobile has the 55 plan...55 years and older. $55.00 month less $5 for auto pay with unlimited data and voice in 200 plus countries...no brainer. but don't rush to be 55 or over! Got a new FREE Samsung S20E too boot!

Check your plan, it’s not unlimited data for Mexico, you get 5GB and then it gets slowed to 2G or 3G and the free data overseas in other countries is slower too. And I’m not 55 yet. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom