Cell question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have T-Mobile, but not the pricey Magenta and unlimited plans. T-Mobile Connect is only $25 for 6GB, but you don't get the extras, Netflix, international roaming, "Tuesdays", etc. But I kind of like getting a local number on vacation. The Telcel Amigo plans are quite cheap, like US$15 for 3GB, $20 for 5GB, and the coverage is the best in Mexico. Looks like you can't order them on the Telcel site anymore, but I was able to get one from eBay in advance of my trip.

A Telcel Amigo SIM ("chip" locally) is readily available lots of places on the island including Oxxo stores.

It should cost MXN$149, or about USD$7.25, and come with about MXN$100 in airtime credit or data package credit.

Supposedly, we're talking about the original question of "Anyone have issue using T-Mobile on the island?" Besides, tourists can get authorization to stay up to 6 months and many people stay on the island for several months a year as tourists.

After an 18 month gap in thread activity, I think most who have posted sine yesterday are talking about the post yesterday that revived this old thread. Perhaps we need two threads - one for tourist perspective and one for resident perspective - because the concerns are different.

Using cellular for maps when driving around is one of the things I do and I don't think it pulls much data, at least with map view not satellite view. If a friends sends me a huge image on whatsapp - not that that often happens - I'll download when I'm on wifi.

After an 18 month gap in thread activity, I think most who have posted sine yesterday are talking about the post yesterday that revived this old thread. Perhaps we need two threads - one for tourist perspective and one for resident perspective - because the concerns are different.

Using cellular for maps when driving around is one of the things I do and I don't think it pulls much data, at least with map view not satellite view. If a friends sends me a huge image on whatsapp - not that that often happens - I'll download when I'm on wifi.
Sometimes I listen to baseball games at night when I am on Cozumel (Let's Go, Astros!!), but likewise I do it over wifi.

Last I checked Mexico didn't do eSIM's, but that was a while back. I now have my dual-SIM phone set up with T-Mobile in the e-SIM and a physical Telcel SIM in the slot, so I haven't checked since then. Going to the service center would be worth it if you planned to keep a Telcel number but certainly not if you planned to let it expire between trips.
To follow up on this, you can get an eSIM from Airalo (a company I found well recommended) that offers 3GB of data only for $US27 (currently MXN$530) a month. 3 GB Mexico eSIM valid for 30 Days · Airalo
And it uses the Telcel network! So you have to use something else if you want SMS or phone, but for me at least the data is the important thing. I can use a VoIP phone, just won't have a local number. Like you say, if you want to keep the number going, not the best solution. But doesn't require getting a SIM in the mail, going to an Oxxo, or reading any Spanish, if those are important to people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom