Cedar Key offshore. Tuesday, 5-10 05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Bend Brian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Two friends and I left the Cedar Key dock at sunset aboard my 24 foot Bare Necessities intent on grouper fishing and to dive a nice ledge I recently found 36 miles offshore.

After a bit of fishing the guys let me take a look at the ledge we were fishing. The surface temperature was 72° and there was a 6 foot layer of tannin colored water delimitated by a sharp thermocline and water color change. On the way down a small school of twenty 10 lb amberjacks followed me to the bottom. At 78 feet the sand met a 75 yard long rock ledge, running along a 90° to 300° heading, which at the tallest point was 4.5 feet tall and undercut by about 13 feet deep. Quite a few scamp hovered over the ledge with mangrove snapper running on top of and along the ledge bottom with a few smaller gag grouper and white grunts mixed in. There were not a lot of gag present, nor did I see a single red snapper, but off in the sand a few larger grouper were staying on the periphery of my vision-the largest going about 18 lbs. Fish were every where including a lot of cubbyu, reef croakers, and a few juvenile queen anglefish, spotfin butterflyfish, and tangs. At the end of the dive I pole speared a nice hog snapper and caught a nice sized ridged slipper lobster near the back of one of the undercuts. He was standing upright (upside down) and his yellow and bright red-striped legs gave him away. The bottom temperature was 67° with about 20 feet of clear visibility (no suspended particulate matter).

Slipper05.jpg

Ridged slipper lobster

Slipper06.jpg

Ridged slipper lobster close-up

Slipper07.jpg

Frontal view

From marker # 1 out to 28 feet the surface water temperature was 73.2° F, at 35 feet it was 73.9°, 73.2° at 50 feet, 72.8° at 64 feet, warming by midday to 76.4° F. With no effort to try to catch a variety of species it was interesting to note that we caught 16 species that I can recall: red porgy, grass porgy, gulf toadfish, scamp, gag and red grouper, graysby, amberjack, black seabass, pinfish, reef croaker, pigfish, white grunt, spottail pinfish, blue runner, spanish mackerel, and a small Kemp’s Ridley turtle (released of course).

Kemp’s Ridley turtle
Slipper08.jpg

We ran a total of 85 miles for the day keeping 10 gag to 14.1 lbs, a few white grunts, and one hog snapper, red porgy, and a ridged slipper lobster. As a final note, the slipper lobster tasted sweeter than Florida spiny lobster, but the meat was coarser and tougher than compared to spinys (using similar cooking techniques). No complaints-it was very good. It was a sweet day on the water with some good friends.

HooYah!!
Brian

Here are a couple of fish pictures too.

Slipper02.jpg

Me with a nice 14 lber
Outstanding conditions!!

Slipper03.jpg

Sanford’s red porgy.

Slipper04.jpg

Jay with his 13+ lb gag

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back