CCR course - yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
This cannot be right. While I am aware of the CE certificate, I thought that more units were CE approved. Certainly, I am aware of UK divers diving Megs and Ourborous units. We've got 3 Meg students at our shop now from the UK. Or is Poland more restrictive?

No, Mania is right. The Inspiration is the only CE approved CCR at the moment. But European Union regulations do not forbid purchasing a non-CE approved unit outside the EU and importing it for personal use. The laws only apply to selling a non-CE approved unit in the EU.

Phil

Hi Phil,

this is not correct. The Ouroboros from CC Technologies also passed CE testing.
Those two are currently the only electronically controlled CCR that are CE certified.

There are also two or three manually controlled units (Submatix, Voyager and I believe CORA II) that are labeled and sold as CE certified. However certification were done by some guy in Italy and certifications are ... questionable at best, certainly heavily debated (even if a mCCR can actually pass under the current CE standard is debatable).

The CCRs from APD and CCR however have been tested according to the current standard and are certified.

Regarding other units used in the EC, Jetsams, Megs, PRISMs, Optimas etc.
They can not be retailed within CE and they can not be used for work (that includes instructors diving them during training).

Guys
Any advice on the training itself?

Mania

mania:
Guys
Any advice on the training itself?

Mania

Training typically follow a set format as specified by the agency. If you are taking a full-blown course here in the US it'll take anywhere from 4 days (very short) to a week. Here's what I/we typically do:

Pre- course study
Classroom, assemble kit, pool intro. on unit
Classroom and field training - 4/5 days continuous, or weekend format
Graduation, or remediation

X

Our course runs 8 days. And that is 8 FULL days. Depending on how things are going, one day may be a day off or a half-day off. It's intense training.

mania:
Quite soon I will have a chance to do CCR course. I know almost nothing about rebreathers but in a way I'm a bit afraid of them.

So what do you think - should I or should I not take the course?
Only you can answer whether or not your personality is appropriate for rebreathers. They add many new ways to kill yourself and require someone very careful and methodical, with the self discipline to pay very close attention to details.

I don't believe I have the level of self discipline to religiously follow the checklists for setup and pre-dive checks for each and every dive, even including a 15 minute dip into a pool. Only you can answer for yourself.

What I understand most of the accidents happening lately were on Inspiration.
Inspirations are the most common, so it is to be expected to have the most incidents. The latest rebreather incident I've heard of was a WKPP dive using the Halcyon rebreather. A very experienced GUE/WKPP diver made a simple mistake in setup and went unconscious due to low ppO2. It doesn't take much of a mistake to get in trouble with rebreathers.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I'm not using the yellow-box-of-death", so it really isn't so dangerous".

PerroneFord:
Our course runs 8 days. And that is 8 FULL days. Depending on how things are going, one day may be a day off or a half-day off. It's intense training.

Aint no doubt it's intense @ Wakulla Diving. Best class and value I've ever done in 37 yrs of diving. Our last dive in the Meg class was a tad over 4 (yes four) hours in the Devil's cave system @ 97ffw max D.

Bill NAUI 5709L C.D./IANTD 1982

There has been a CCR accident since in Australia also involving O2. The diver came out of it all right but hasn't posted details yet. Should be forthcoming in a week or so.

No doubt any rebreather increases the number of things that can go wrong, and it changes others. Many problems that can occur actually leave some time to correct.

Last but not least many of the fatalities involve solo diving, a high risk proposition in any form of the sport, OC, SC or CC. Both the incidents in FL and AUS were not fatal as emergency procedures were followed by buddies and surface support. Can't be stressed enough!

PerroneFord:

# days of training does not necessarily mean better training. I say this having been through many, many course related to RB training and instructor top-up. There are many variables with regards to how a course is run, including qualifications of the RB candidates themselves.

However, I will say 8 days spread out with enough time to reflect, develop muscle-memory skills is a good thing...especially in gin-clear water. Again, I do stress that there are variables in training and that the final assessment is dependent upon the instructor. That being the case - make sure you have a good instructor. I have seen Rb instructors who are total ____es and have left myself and others to clean up the mess.

Additionally, there is a process of self-selection during a course. Those folks who have a devli of a time with RB's tend to wash out, remove themselves early from process. Sort of like an IDC/ITC etc. You do know who is ultimately going to make it, wash out, or go to remediation.

X

Mr. X, I agree. I have seen and met some RB instructors I would not train with. I feel fortunate to work with one of the more highly regarded instructors. But like any class, the caliber of student, and the quality of instruction are key factors.

With all that said, I hope Mania takes a course. It can be very good training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom