Cayman - Computer Rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallasM5

Reaction score
We're going to G. Cayman Sept. 1-6 for a combo dive/beach vacation.

Two couples and of the four people, I'm the only person with a computer. Can you guys give me suggestions on renting computers?

We are staying at the Westin and (currently) planning on diving with Don Fosters. I call DF and the lady told me they don't rent computers and don't know of anyone that did rent them. That seems hard to believe! (Disclaimer: The person from DF's that returned my call is really just a secretary and not one of the operators. However, she did say she called the operators for the information.)

So, what are our options? Does anyone know if it's true that they don't rent computers? Is there a dive shop there that will rent them even if we don't dive with them? Is it possible to rent them before we go? (We're based in Dallas.) Are computers completely superfulous in the Caymans?

So many questions .... I have to think there is a relatively simple answer (besides everyone buying their own).

(Note: Last year, in T&C diving with Fifi, he just let us do our own dives provided at least one buddy had a computer. I know this kind of flies in the face of true safety, so I don't want to count on that for this trip.)

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Buy your own.

Most operators only rent gear for use of customers diving with their operation.

You might have better luck finding a rental for your trip at a dive shop near your home.

buy your own computer. They have really come down in price. Get a wrist mount and you will be good to go. I've seen them online as low as under $180.

We have our own computers, so we haven't used this part of their service, but Divetech (by the Turtle Farm) lists computers for rent at $10/day. The dive at Turtle Reef is our favorite site on Grand cayman personally, and Divetech runs a good operation in our experience. Check the "Prices" section in the following link

http://www.divetech.com/

So does Sunset House and Eden Rock, although what Drew said may apply.

The majority of dive operations here have computers for rent but generally, as Drew points out, will only rent them to people who are diving with them. I feel fairly sure that Don Foster's will be in this category. Basically computer rental is provided as a service to our customers.

Trying not to blow my own trumpet but I believe that our operation is the only one on the island to provide computers free of charge to people diving on our boats. We hate being dragged topside halfway through a great dive just because someone doesn't have a computer!

Have some good long dives and don't forget those safety stops!!

CJ

CJ's:
The majority of dive operations here have computers for rent but generally, as Drew points out, will only rent them to people who are diving with them. I feel fairly sure that Don Foster's will be in this category. Basically computer rental is provided as a service to our customers.

Trying not to blow my own trumpet but I believe that our operation is the only one on the island to provide computers free of charge to people diving on our boats. We hate being dragged topside halfway through a great dive just because someone doesn't have a computer!

Have some good long dives and don't forget those safety stops!!

CJ

You mean i didn't need to buy that new computer?????
really enjoyed diving with you and never miss a chance to recommend you to others.

I do know that Divetech does rent gear, tanks and computer to outside guest. They also have computer on their boats for guest, plus all our shore diving was free with our dive package.

Back
Top Bottom