Caves of New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omisson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Several of the old-timers have indicated there are both flooded mine caves and natural percolation spring/sump caves in upstate. New York. Yet there are no NSS-CDS or NACD recorded cave-dive sites in NY.

Was wondering if there are other folks interested in working on finding these sites and trying to gain access....

From what I understand it's on private property, it is logistical big hike, pain in the rear + liability bits which made using this area a non-starter.

I have absolutely no interest in cave diving BUT I know that one of the members of the Albany Aquanauts is an avid cave diver. You might try to contact her through the club Home

I have absolutely no interest in cave diving BUT I know that one of the members of the Albany Aquanauts is an avid cave diver. You might try to contact her through the club Home

Mr X - where up state? Do you have any idea the county? If I can map it it may at least allow us to figure out limestone deposit zones that could lead to other more accessible lines.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 05:25 PM ----------

Thanks!

Have you considered joining a local NSS grotto to see if anyone has good information?

Have you considered joining a local NSS grotto to see if anyone has good information?

I've sent out a few emails to the local grottos- nothing substantive back on sites.

Mr X - where up state? Do you have any idea the county? If I can map it it may at least allow us to figure out limestone deposit zones that could lead to other more accessible lines.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 05:25 PM ----------

Thanks!

Been long out of touch with the folks that did the initial work. We had talked about exploring the site some ten years ago which wasn't that far North from my recollection. The logistical bits of contacting the farm/property owner (reluctance), hazards, clearing out the area, getting to the site with tanks/compressors were all aspects of making this a non-starter. From what I took it wasn't too far up North 3-4 hours from NYC????? , but nothing so great as to expend the energy to make it a real prospect for caving, or exploration. I don't know when I will see these individuals again - but will ask when I do.

BTW - sometimes with caving and new sites - have to ask the big question - is it purposeful? Last penetration dives I did were extremely dangerous, taxing, expensive and at the end of the day - nothing to write home about. But, that the business. Best.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom