Cave Training - Cozumel version

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks,

Just thought I'd toss this idea out to everyone. My wife and I are going to Cozumel March 12-19th for some training of the cavern/cave variety. She's going to do cavern whilst I finish the other 4 days off with Intro Cave & Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures.

My 2 buddies that I were hoping would go with me have bailed, but I'd still like to train with someone from the area and meet some new folks. So if anybody's interested, has some vacation time and money saved up, then let me know.

I'm going out with German from Yucatech (yucatech.net). Just cavern/intro cave is $700 and if you do adv nitrox/deco procedures as well, it's $950.

With hotel and flight, prices are about $650/person leaving from Houston. I'm planning on departing Monday March 12th at about 8am from Houston Int'l, check into hotel after noon. Training is the next 6 days from about 8am to 4pm (so March 13-18th). March 19th, flight back out of Cozumel to IAH departing at 2pm.

German already has his calendar marked off for us, so just let me know if anyone's interested.

Take care,

Michael

Too bad on the dates! I'm going to be in Coz March 23 through April 1, and had talked to German about doing cavern, but my husband decided he didn't want to spend his vacation doing a class.

Hope you find someone with whom to do it. I'm just excited about getting to do some tours this time.

Man, just off the mark. I would truly have enjoyed getting to dive with you and your husband based on what I've heard from you on the board. At any rate, have fun on your trip!

Enjoy your class...
I am not sure if you will cavern dive on Cozumel.
The system there is referred to as Aerolite and is very different from the mainland.
I can see you taking a trip on the fairy.

Most (now in all fairness I said most) caves in Mexico are shallow and do not have the depth that the caves in Florida have.
So you should be able to use good nitrox mixes.

Have you looked into the gear list- or has he provided you an overview of what gear you need? Usually, most of us defer to the instructor you are using for gear selection.
If you have any questions give me a yell.

Have fun, and enjoy the training- watch out for trees… hehehe :D

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

German has told me that there are enough spots to do all the training on the island itself, but if I'd prefer, he can take us to Riviera Maya. Part of my thought process was to actually get cavern/intro done in Mexico where there is lower flow and I don't have to add that to my list of task loading problems. However, German said there are a few caves that have FL-esque flow I might be subjected too as well ;P

He has a list of gear required/recommended on his site and he's willing to rent out anything I don't have (included in the course price). I already have my BP/W, 2 regs, longhose, can light, etc. etc. The only thing I'll probably borrow is weight and doubles (double 108's are not quite the welcome addition to the plane one might hope).

I'm hoping it will be a blast. By the way, Andrew, is that a Meg you're wearing in your avatar? I might hit you up about that - that's my road to pursue :wink:

Michael

Glad to hear you have what you need.

Just as a friendly thought.
Batteries and consumables can be expensive in Mexico- as you are probably aware.
Might want to bring batteries, back up bulbs for the regular lights.
If you have an extra rebuild kit for your regulators- bring it.

The training is a blast and perhaps one of my favorite classes. Its hard work but in a fun way. I am NSS-CDS Intro certified eventually moving on to Full cave.

The avatar is in my gallery also- it’s a PRISM rebreather.
There is a group of guys in central Texas that have them also.
This is the direction that I am heading.
We did a 2.5 hr pool dive on two S19 tanks; the rebreather uses different tanks for different reasons. One is to maintain oxygen content the other is to add gas for depth changes. Needless to say I walked out flying from the excitement and fun we had.
Very freaky when you can hear the wind blowing over the water above you- it’s that quiet. I presently don’t own a unit- estimated cost of $8,500.00.

Good luck, enjoy the scenery and the awesome sights.
Best Regards, Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for those tips! What you said makes sense but I hadn't even thought of those things things, so I'm glad you brought them up.

I was getting the same impression about it being "fun work" that you're talking about. 8am - 4pm everyday seems like some serious work, but I suspect it'll be challenging in a very fun and rewarding way.

Man, I envy you having gotten to play with the RBs in the pool. I've been looking at the Meg for a while, but with a near $10k price tag, it's certainly in the more distant future. Although I have thought about going with the COPIS meg and then switching to the Apecs 3 head when it comes out. Who knows what'll happen between now and then though.

Thanks again for the best wishes,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom