Cave Graffiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthic

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this kind of stuff has probably been mentioned before, but I think it's something that we can all stand to be reminded of from time to time.

While diving at Jackson Blue this past weekend, I found what is obviously graffiti in the back of the cavern, near the jump to the horseshoe circuit. Lots of handprints, arranged in a pattern, and arrows drawn in the clay that pointed at them. I didn't have a camera handy, or I would have taken photos.

I certainly don't expect that the perpetrator will fess up to their actions in public. But if the individual in question happens to be reading this--YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO THE CAVE DIVING COMMUNITY! KNOCK IT OFF! I can only hope that if you are somehow identified that the appropriate certification agency will rescind your card, spank you soundly and send you to bed without any dinner!

Brian

Amen!!!!

Brian, did you pass on this information to Edd? Granted, not everyone has to sign in at the sheriff's office, but if we can narrow it down, it might help.

Was the damage by the scientific experiment station? Was that even left alone?

Unfortunately, it may not even have been a cave diver that did that. I've seen single tank divers in JB on a few occasions, even back in that area.

Last I checked this is a violation of Florida law. One person prosecuted under this law,and publicized in the caving community would help mitigate it.

Take nothing but pictures
Leave nothing, not even footprints
Kill nothing but vandals

I think the British CDG get it right. You have to be a dry caver first,this is where you really develop a cave aesthetic,before you can cave dive. Perhaps we'd see less of this if dry caving experience and affiliation in a grotto was necessary before seeking cave diving training. Cave diving has become an extension of diving,not caving. Just my 2 bar worth.

Dive-aholic:
Brian, did you pass on this information to Edd? Granted, not everyone has to sign in at the sheriff's office, but if we can narrow it down, it might help.

Was the damage by the scientific experiment station? Was that even left alone?

Unfortunately, it may not even have been a cave diver that did that. I've seen single tank divers in JB on a few occasions, even back in that area.
Yes, Edd & company are aware. Hopefully that will help.

I was on my way out from a long dive, so I didn't look around extensively but I didn't see damage anywhere else.

Brian

karstdvr:
I think the British CDG get it right. You have to be a dry caver first,this is where you really develop a cave aesthetic,before you can cave dive. Perhaps we'd see less of this if dry caving experience and affiliation in a grotto was necessary before seeking cave diving training. Cave diving has become an extension of diving,not caving. Just my 2 bar worth.

Agreed.

Brian

karstdvr:

I do not think that the graffiti is being done by cave divers, but by open water divers going diving in caves. Anyone can buy a reel and a light and go into the cave - they might even make it back out again. Look at any given spring frequented by open water divers and you will see graffiti in the cavern zone but it stops as soon as you get into the cave zone.

The kind of person who leaves graffiti on a dive site is the same kind of moron who is exceeding their training and feel like they have to leave a marker to their "accomplishment". I have a hard time believing that someone who has invested the time and money in cave training would do so without having developed respect for the environment.

Florida law recognizes this activity as a felony offense- and one we should help enforce if we witness it. I will not hesitate to report intentional damage if I see it. How about at least reporting it to the Sheriff's Office- the fact that line arrows were present indicates that these were likely not open water divers.

I very much disagree that a cave diver should be required to have dry cave experience. I have no interest in dry caves and never will.

Johnny

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom