Cave fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Brett Hatch , I didn't carefully read all the responses in the thread, so sorry if this is repeating something, but here's the math. A LP 85 filled to 3500 psi will hold about 113 cf of gas. Your HP 100s will obviously hold 100 cf at service pressure. So yes, you gain a little more gas, but it's not a huge amount. A LP 85 and HP 100 are pretty similar in size. The 85 might be a few pounds lighter, but nothing that you'd really notice. My point is that short of of moving to doubles or a substantially larger tank (HP 133 or cave filled LP 108), you're not really gaining anything by moving to a single cave filled LP 85.

@Brett Hatch , I didn't carefully read all the responses in the thread, so sorry if this is repeating something, but here's the math. A LP 85 filled to 3500 psi will hold about 113 cf of gas. Your HP 100s will obviously hold 100 cf at service pressure. So yes, you gain a little more gas, but it's not a huge amount. A LP 85 and HP 100 are pretty similar in size. The 85 might be a few pounds lighter, but nothing that you'd really notice. My point is that short of of moving to doubles or a substantially larger tank (HP 133 or cave filled LP 108), you're not really gaining anything by moving to a single cave filled LP 85.
Let me see....13% more gas....sounds kinda good!

Let me see....13% more gas....sounds kinda good!

Only if you can get a cave fill easily.

As a cave diver cave fills aren't hard to get, but because I live 3 hours away from cave country, I still have to either fill my tanks before I leave, or fill them when I arrive as I can't get cave fills locally.

Did someone say cave fill? This was an LP95.

Unlikely you’ll find a local shop to overfill around NorCal and honestly I don’t think it’s worth it. For cave diving sure, as there are other inherent risks that you are balancing. IMHO, a HP100 is way more than adequate for basically any rec dive around here.

64330653-0E29-4256-8A91-46A1D85945CB.jpeg

To answer your original question, it's certainly not an easy thing to get. I was talking to a fill station operator that I've met several times, and he said that a Northern California diving legend came in one day and asked for the kind of fill you're looking for. The operator wouldn't give him more than a few percent over the rated fill.

Back
Top Bottom