Cave Fills on LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious what you big hairy chested gents measure after you’re done comparing fill pressures?

Not really...

Regulator service intervals.

My garage is still standing today.
You know you've painted yourself into a corner now? If you skip a day it's gonna be thoughts and prayers all over the place.

You know you've painted yourself into a corner now? If you skip a day it's gonna be thoughts and prayers all over the place.

Still here.

The suspense is killing me! Can anyone confirm that Ken's garage is still standing?

Perhaps a candlelight vigil?

It's like Schrodinger's Cat. My garage was still standing when I drove to the office this morning, but I can not confirm it's still standing right now.

It's like Schrodinger's Cat. My garage was still standing when I drove to the office this morning, but I can not confirm it's still standing right now.
It’s the not knowing that’s the worst. Thoughts and prayers.

Join me in changing your FB profile pic to a slightly bulging LP50.

Many, many years ago, one of my dive buddies started to do what we now know as "technical diving"... although in reality, it was just dumb diving. We still call him "Fearless Fred, The Bionic Bottom Sounder".

I recall him telling me about a trip he made to some factory that manufactured steel dive tanks and that the engineer there told him that there was absolutely no difference between LP and HP SCUBA cylinders, other than the neck stamps. It was simpler and less expensive to make them all the same, which makes total sense. Fearless Fred routinely filled his 72s (2250 rating?) to close to 4000 PSI with the burst disk replaced with a bolt. I think he said that the engineer had told him that a NEW tank would have a burst pressure of close to 20,000 psi.

This is all hearsay of course and if you blow your house up pumping your tanks up to 19,500 psi, I don't wanna hear about it.

Having said all this, I just had my LP80s hydro'd. There was a little rust in one tank which took a little whipping to clean up. The shop does hydros on site and when I picked them up, the owner (and hydro tech) promptly filled them up to 3200 psi. In spite of all his whining about my slightly rusty tank, he had no hesitation in "over-filling" them.

Obviously all of these discussions assume the tanks in question are in top shape. I little pitting completely changes everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom