Cave fill final gas volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The math is so much simpler
Frequently it's not. Double AL80 tank factor is 5 (cuft per hundred psi) in imperial but 22 (liters per bar) in metric. Maybe it's just me, but I can divide/multiply by 5 much more easily. For LP85s, it's 6 rather than 26. My SAC is 0.5 cuft/min (easy) instead of 14 L/min. YMMV.

We went to the moon using Imperial, works just fine.

If you’re really into nerding out on the math, this is all a fun exercise. However, practically, temperature and SPG inaccuracy will have a bigger impact than z factors and all of that. Easier and less room for human error if you just use rounded tank factors so you can do the math quickly in your head on the fly. No need to measure with a micrometer if we’re chopping with an axe.

Not precisely an answer to the original posting question. Not precisely.

But this is a table (a triplicate copy of the same table) I laminate and give to my students which fits in a wetnotes.

I made it because I suck at math - and don't trust my ability to, say, divide or multiply by 7 in my head on the fly - but value dissimilar tank gas matching.

The left columns, obviously, are tank sizes and tank factors. The top row is useable pressure when figuring thirds. The main grid is all volumes in cubic footage. The idea is once you've figured out who the limiting factor is you've got their usable pressure which, by simple triangulation, you've got their useable volume. Then you find the closest volume in whatever tanks other team members are diving and find what pressure that volume is in their tanks and you've got their useable pressures, too.

If, for whatever reason, you need a total fill volume at triple those useable pressures/volumes... just multiply by 3? (I'd probably still need a calculator.)

Attachments

• Gas Matching - 1_3rds.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 128
Use the “M” factor, a given tank rated at 2650 psi filled to 3400 has “M”ore air, dive accordingly. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom