Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still struggle to understand why people continue to do highly risky cave diving (which arguably is the most risky of all sectors of recreational diving) when nobody has ever come back from a cave dive and said "wow that was a beautiful reef", or "those critters were amazing" or "what an awesome wreck" - but each to their own.
When I was finishing my intro to cave at Peacock Springs (in 2009), the instructor asked us if we would like to do one more dive? when you drop drop down into the cave, there is a hole in the wall that leads to the tunnel for Peacock II. We tied on to the line, dropped down into the well and that was to end our dive. The formations in that part of the cave were out of this world and sealed my passion for cave diving. From this point on there has not been a reef or wreck that compares. I spent several years in the Great Lakes and have seen some awesome and humbling wrecks. Seen some wonderful unforgettable reefs and critters. But the cave is completely another dimension. If I never dive another wreck or reef, that will be OK. Actually my last wreck dive was the weekend after getting back from finishing my full cave in Mexico was in the Great Lakes. That dive just did have the draw they once had.

I have had to take several years off diving due to life events and dealing with cancer. The cancer is about beaten and the life events are all worked out and the first cave I will dive again will be Jackson Blue with an instructor to build back up.

Some will disagreed with me, but in my opinion, if done right and in the correct frame of mind cave diving can be safe as any wreck I have done and as safe as some reefs I have done. Just my opinion.

To recap what I've learned about the accident...
Ambition, narcosis, and spatial distortion all played a role in this accident. It's a known challenge in that cave, so it's cool to do, but it's really hard to comprehend just how small an opening is when water is magnifying it, especially if you're a bit narced. As one of the participants described it in a DM, we all need to develop "cave whiskers" so that we know what's safe and what's not. Neither the rebreather nor the buddy seem to have contributed to this accident.

We've also seen how many peeps react to some of the blunt discussions cavers have with each other. Some need to tone it down on a public forum, while others need to be less sensitive. In addition, some feel the need to discuss things quickly, while others want to delay that. Perhaps the latter should avoid such threads until after shiva has passed? There's no need to place your religious or emotional restrictions on others. It's always good to remind yourself, that we all grieve differently. What works for you is anathema to another. There's no need to require others to honor your traditions. Just be true to yourself.
Many thanks for the additional information about the incident. Do you know if the deceased became stuck in the restriction on the way in or while exiting (having already passed through it once)? Interesting that narcosis played a part - I haven't seen the depth of the restriction mentioned but it sounds like it might have been a bit deep for an air diluent dive that required higher than average clarity of thought.

I think that your thoughts about the who, what, when and why of the discussion is spot on and should become the guideline of this section.

Has it been established where this happened exactly? It seems very doubtful to me that it occurred on any of the lined side passages in the rumoured part of JB (first T to third T) as I don't remember any of them having something that would be considered a major restriction in sidemount.
Of course a simple explanation could be that there was a search for a jump, for example for something like the Queens Bypass line, and by error the search led to a different/tight part of the cave (unlined), resulting in the diver getting stuck. But that's only guessing, wish we had more information.

Many thanks for the additional information about the incident. Do you know if the deceased became stuck in the restriction on the way in or while exiting (having already passed through it once)? Interesting that narcosis played a part - I haven't seen the depth of the restriction mentioned but it sounds like it might have been a bit deep for an air diluent dive that required higher than average clarity of thought.

I think that your thoughts about the who, what, when and why of the discussion is spot on and should become the guideline of this section.
It's normally between 77 and 79 feet (fresh water) in that short crappy passage.

I can kill myself in a dozen spots easily in JB before the first T that are tight, and honestly people need to get training, mentoring and experience for tight stuff. Cave whiskers is a good way to describe it, but it's also a 3D puzzle as you move with a round peg in a square hole becoming a square peg in a round hole. It's a very dynamic and dangerous environment where skill and the ability to think the puzzle thru while staying calm is all that will keep you alive. Planning ahead when you are planning on tight stuff like dropping a stage and enough deco gas for when you come out on fumes versus your "planned" run time. Knowing that plans can go very sideways very quickly, because the cave ALWAYS has a say.

Folks, seriously, the very first time you are hung up and feel absolutely helpless is NOT a good feeling. Have that happen in a formal class in restrictions or mentoring with an honest to gosh tight and twisty zero viz experienced diver. There are fewer of them out there than claim to be. I am going to add, first time you are stuck like that, it needs to be in a place with good viz you won't destroy, that your instructor can get to you from both sides and you have been well briefed on everything. You will have all the tools to do it, and you will still fail first, second time, then get when you apply everything taught.

I once went for a dive with someone that lived in Marianna that wanted to go somewhere in a cave, who made it sound like they had been there before. I then had them freaking out on me in a pretty short but very silty and black passage that they had gone first in. I was more than mildly annoyed they had lied to me about their experience, and expressed it and they were so embarrassed I did so in front of Edd and a few other friends that we haven't talked since. I don't care, their ego could have killed us both.

Anyhow, having a full cave and side mount cards is nowhere near enough to be doing major restrictions, super silty passage etc, regardless of what the brochure or your cave buddies tell ya.

Has it been established where this happened exactly? It seems very doubtful to me that it occurred on any of the lined side passages in the rumoured part of JB (first T to third T) as I don't remember any of them having something that would be considered a major restriction in sidemount.
Of course a simple explanation could be that there was a search for a jump, for example for something like the Queens Bypass line, and by error the search led to a different/tight part of the cave (unlined), resulting in the diver getting stuck. But that's only guessing, wish we had more information.
Yes, it has been established exactly where it happened, the body was there.

It wasn't Queen's.

Yes, it has been established exactly where it happened, the body was there.

It wasn't Queen's.

Established as in "made known".
Obviously both the recovery divers and the buddy would know exactly what lead up to the accident.

Was there a prior line in that spot or was he running line (or even completely off the line)?
Again i don't know of any major SM restrictions in that area, which is why I'm asking.

Prior line put in by an instructor that lives in Marianna (not Edd), if I recall about a decade ago. I never understood why it was lined

To recap what I've learned about the accident...
Ambition, narcosis, and spatial distortion all played a role in this accident. It's a known challenge in that cave, so it's cool to do, but it's really hard to comprehend just how small an opening is when water is magnifying it, especially if you're a bit narced. As one of the participants described it in a DM, we all need to develop "cave whiskers" so that we know what's safe and what's not. Neither the rebreather nor the buddy seem to have contributed to this accident.

If a counterlung design lends itself to being compressed from cave contact rendering the rebreather useless, that’s an issue.

Additionally, if dives are taking less full tanks (2400psi vs 3600) for “comfort” that’s a practice that needs scrutiny too.

I am still curious why the person who drowned had 1 tank with 2400psi in it.

For those that know where he was stuck, is it possible to survive on 2400psi until the buddy makes a round trip to bring more gas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom