Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

HAS BEEN RE-OPENED //// Thread closed for review. The most recent posts in this conversation may be valuable but do not seem to be directly applicable to the accident.

Perhaps these posts will be moved to a new thread in Cave Diving.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There will be zero tolerance for any further posts in this A&I thread, that do not relate to the accident.

That said, any posts that are complaints about, whether or not, accidents should be discussed at all or the timing thereof, will be immediately deleted as Off Topic.

Please consider carefully any post that you intend to make in this thread because we don't want to have to do anymore thread bans.

Please conduct yourselves accordingly and if you are still unsure, refresh yourself on the Special Rules and stickies for Accidents and Incidents subforum, along with a complete reading of all of the Mod Posts found within this thread.

Then you haven't looked, 《mod edit》 No one goes into business to NOT make a profit. That's a far, far cry from putting profit first. You have an axe to grind about Edd and nothing will stop you from bellyaching about how horrible he is. It's just more cave politics and it silts out the discussion. 《Mod edit》
You'll notice that all the axe-grinding is done via remote...

I don't think this accident had anything to do with the gear.

side passage near the first T. Well within kicking range of a single stage.
Terrible news

Hi, I got an acct here just to respond. I used to know Ben well a long time ago: he was a very kind person. When I learned of his passing, I went googling his name for his obit and more info on his death, and page 6 of this thread came up as one of the first few finds. I know people in this thread didn't necessarily intend to be disrespectful, but the flippancy of one or two of the comments broke my heart a little. I'm probably breaking this forum's posting rules or whatever, but I want to ask that you guys please stop to consider your words when discussing deaths on here... I don't know who all else that knew him might stumble in here and read stuff too. I haven't spoken to Ben in a long time, but I have no doubt people being a little kinder in their words towards each other is exactly what he'd want.

That may be true, however Google sees it differently. Like Aftonsplash said, he/she got here through Google and many would not first read through all the forum rules.

I agree that it may be unwise for those grieving to read this part of the forum, but that doesn't mean we could try a little harder to be respectful. That in no way would diminish the contents.

To have a just culture you need to have an environment that encourages people to talk about their mistakes by not beating them up when they tell the story. Sadly, that almost doesn't exist in online forums, for every person that tries to encourage honest and supportive dialogs you've got a half-dozen people that are seeking attention by being shock jocks.

People are ruthless on the internet. I recently got dragged by probably 70% of the respondents to a post I made about a pistol match I was shooting where I dropped (and caught) my handgun during a stage I was actively shooting. Obviously I went back and dissected the video a dozen times or more to analyze what I did wrong, besides the obvious and instinctual grabbing of a loaded handgun out of mid-air. However, watching it and realizing the muzzle never broke the 180 degree line across my body, meaning it was never pointed at myself or any of the other competitors/the range officer behind me, made me make a joke about it. Sometimes people forget it's possibly to inject humor in a serious situation as a means of coping with the sobering reality of a mistake that was bad, or could've been way worse if a few key details were changed...

Hopefully more details will come to light on this drowning, I find it disconcerting when there's a cave death that isn't clearly a medical episode or attributed to something obvious (the death at Ginnie a few years back from breathing un-analyzed tanks at depth, which turned out to be 100% O2, for example) and no follow-up investigative findings are given to the community after an appropriate time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom