Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha, I don't know what articles you have read, but I have read the brief statement put out by the recovery team. She wasn't lost, she was unable to pass a restriction to get to gas she had left behind her. (Could she have been lost or disoriented before returning to that restriction? Possible but unlikely, as she was running her own line.)

Pete, her not marking intersections played, as far as I can tell, no role in her death at all. It is just a piece of information that may shed some light on her general level of diligence.

I have an open question to any and all cave divers reading this thread. Last summer I dived in a cenote in Mexico. It was a cavern, not a true cave. It was my first (and most likely last) restricted overhead environment dive. I wanted to have the experience to see what it was like. I found some psychological comfort in the periodic openings showing an exit. I didn't feel very attracted to the environment. It was interesting, but I personally enjoy sunlight, reef and lots of fish. Diving in "normal" environments seems plenty risky to me. I love diving, and so I accept that risk. I place no judgment on what anyone does with their life, but I must admit in this case I don't understand.

My question: What is it about diving in caves that is so alluring that some folks are willing to do what this woman did? By anyone's measure, it seemed like an unacceptably high risk to take.

My question: What is it about diving in caves that is so alluring that some folks are willing to do what this woman did? By anyone's measure, it seemed like an unacceptably high risk to take.

As attributed to Tom Mount:

Either you're one of us and you get it, or you aren't and you dont.

I have an open question to any and all cave divers reading this thread. Last summer I dived in a cenote in Mexico. It was a cavern, not a true cave. It was my first (and most likely last) restricted overhead environment dive. I wanted to have the experience to see what it was like. I found some psychological comfort in the periodic openings showing an exit. I didn't feel very attracted to the environment. It was interesting, but I personally enjoy sunlight, reef and lots of fish. Diving in "normal" environments seems plenty risky to me. I love diving, and so I accept that risk. I place no judgment on what anyone does with their life, but I must admit in this case I don't understand.

Caves are beautiful. Exploring a place where it's entirely possible nobody has ever gone is exciting.
Personally, I'll never do a cave course, simply because living in Colorado and diving twice a year on vacation means I'll never develop the level of skills needed. But I'll certainly mix in the odd cenote dive with the reef dives while I'm in Mexico.

Reactions: Jax
That's central to a question I almost posted a moment ago but scrapped.

If she was on a dedicated personal line (back to the second cylinder?) what is the relevance of crossing permanent lines / not marking?

Pete

Its not relevant to this discussion, it just aids to discredit a very good explorer. It is taught to mark unmarked navigation decisions. I do it and everybody I know does it but that didn't lead to this death. Did she miscalculate, yes, but that's irrelevant now. She did the dives that 99% would not do.

As attributed to Tom Mount:

Well said. Not one of my non diving friends remotely understand it and a good many OW only divers don't either.

The articles I read state she had laid a "few metres of line" and that has been removed. I don't recall reading anything that states she was on the line she laid. I don't think it can be determined from the evidence that is there whether she knew where she was or not, but the fact that she passed several Ts without marking them is a big red flag to me. The delay that could have been caused by not having definitive identification of the correct exit could have contributed to not. As with any other incident, we'll likely never know what really happened to contribute to her death.

The articles I read state she had laid a "few metres of line" and that has been removed. I don't recall reading anything that states she was on the line she laid. I don't think it can be determined from the evidence that is there whether she knew where she was or not, but the fact that she passed several Ts without marking them is a big red flag to me. The delay that could have been caused by not having definitive identification of the correct exit could have contributed to not. As with any other incident, we'll likely never know what really happened to contribute to her death.

The line she laid is where she passed away. One of the recovery divers stated it was 300mm by 600mm at the restriction she could ot get back through. I don't know how small that is but it doesn't sound big.

The line she laid is where she passed away. One of the recovery divers stated it was 300mm by 600mm at the restriction she could ot get back through. I don't know how small that is but it doesn't sound big.

approx..12 in by 24 in.

approx..12 in by 24 in.

I might not remember the wording correct. Might just be the smaller restrictions were that size. That's too small for my comfort level it it goes any distance but 12in tall isn't that bad. Yeah I probably don't recall word for word now. I will look Monday when back on work puter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom