Cave diver dies in South-East (Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HERE is an essay on the topic, which at least covers some basic ideas. I couldn't quickly find anything more detailed or comprehensive, in part because these things are taught in cave classes (and nobody wants you to know them before you take training, lest you be tempted to put that knowledge to use), and in part because marking protocols can differ from one agency to another.

The first drowning scene in "Sanctum" has haunted me since I saw it in the theater last month. It is made all the more poignant now. RIP Ag.

It's a bit creepy to me, because she (Jude?) drowned because they dropped their bailout bottles. Ag dropped her 2nd bottle.

Actually, in zero visibility, it's less likely to miss Ts or jumps because you're on the line. You'll feel the T and you'll feel the end of the line you're on. The only time I've missed them is when they are badly placed in the system.

So if you're less likely to miss a T or jump in zero vis, but the references to Ag being lost or disoriented involve not marking intersections, is it more likely that she lost the line? Or chose the wrong direction at the T or jump? Since if she never lost the line, she would have felt the intersection, but perhaps chosen the wrong way. If she did lose the line for a time, she could have been disoriented for a while. All of this was only on a single tank past the restriction, not giving her a lot of time.

So if you're less likely to miss a T or jump in zero vis, but the references to Ag being lost or disoriented involve not marking intersections, is it more likely that she lost the line? Or chose the wrong direction at the T or jump? Since if she never lost the line, she would have felt the intersection, but perhaps chosen the wrong way. If she did lose the line for a time, she could have been disoriented for a while. All of this was only on a single tank past the restriction, not giving her a lot of time.

Thank you - this really helps put it into perspective.

I think it's pretty clear from even the brief report from the recovery team that she was not, as originally reported, lost. Her marking or not marking intersections doesn't appear to have played any role in the accident. She made a decision to leave a tank behind in order to pass a spot so narrow she couldn't negotiate it with both tanks. On return, probably in zero viz, she could not sort out how to get through that place. This is a real danger in restrictions -- sometimes they are much easier to do one way than the other, and it's always easier to figure out how to position yourself if you can see. She knew where she was -- she couldn't get where she was going, and having only one tank limited the time she had to solve the problem.

Thank you - this really helps put it into perspective.

Sorry Jax, I was just asking a question. I'm not a cave diver. My perspective is very limited!

I think it's pretty clear from even the brief report from the recovery team that she was not, as originally reported, lost.

I haven't seen that in the articles that I've read, Lynne. Ag was probably not lost at the time that she took her last breath and would have made it if she just could have gotten back to her 2nd bottle in time. However, it cannot be ruled out that she was not lost or disoriented at any time BEFORE the end. We do not know yet if she was actually physically stuck at any time or not, and may never know. All we know is that she needed more gas than what she had on her person to complete that dive safely.

Sorry Jax, I was just asking a question. I'm not a cave diver. My perspective is very limited!

'sokay, you have enough to ask better questions! :wink:

I haven't seen that in the articles that I've read, Lynne. Ag was probably not lost at the time that she took her last breath and would have made it if she just could have gotten back to her 2nd bottle in time. However, it cannot be ruled out that she was not lost or disoriented at any time BEFORE the end. We do not know yet if she was actually physically stuck at any time or not, and may never know. All we know is that she needed more gas than what she had on her person to complete that dive safely.

She was on a line she put in. She was not lost.

She was on a line she put in. She was not lost.

That's central to a question I almost posted a moment ago but scrapped.

If she was on a dedicated personal line (back to the second cylinder?) what is the relevance of crossing permanent lines / not marking?

Pete

Back
Top Bottom