Catalog sale warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

armyscuba:
Allison.....Where art Thou?

Sorry for the hiatus, I've been preparing for a month long trip to PNG. I haven't spent much time on the net.

No, I did not contact LP. I got hold of a tech person from Suunto who helped me solve the problem. The software tends to have a conflict with Photoshop applications and Palm Pilot software, both of which I have. He directed me to software updates that solved the problem. Although Suunto could not warrant the product, They were more than willing to help with tech support. I thank them.
Was I "bashing" LP? Well, if you read my original post, I merely warned people of the potential problem. I will continue to buy some items, but will be careful in the future.
I have found that my LDS will bargain against net prices and will come close to LP's prices to keep the money with them. I would much prefer to keep my dollars local.

Sounds as if it was a software application compatability problem to me and not a problem generated by the source of purchase. One should research the compatability of different pieces of applications software before expecting them to work flawlessly upon boot-up.

The nautre and tone of your post implied that LP was the source of the problem. I'm sure this particular distributor is not a specialty software distributor and would have no knowledge of the compatability of the Suunto software to that which you have on your PC.

I dare say the clerk at your LDS would have been uable to shed any light on your plight either.

Regardless, any reader of your post could infer that, given the way in which you stated your position, Leisure-Pro was the source of your woes and were at fault in the transaction.

Allison,

I agree with The Kracken. This was not a situation where LP or an LDS could solve your problem.

And yes, the tone of your previous posts leads to an easy inference that you were bashing LP.

jkennedy:
Buy quality and from a local shop and your problems will be resolved.......
Yeah, right - or are you referring to your local computer shop? If the problem was a software compatibility issue, your LDS isn't going to be worth much...

jkennedy:
Buy quality and from a local shop and your problems will be resolved.......Jack on the way to Caymaniac

My lds hates computers with a passion and will not tuch them,
I dont think I would get anywhere with them on a software problem

but then there might be a few of us that could shed a bit of light on the situation. Just because we work for a scuba shop doesn't mean we don't have outside jobs. Some of us even use electronics outside of a dive computer. :11:

gj62:
Much of the grey market goods happen by a company going bankrupt, etc and dumping the goods.

I have heard two scenarios for this:

1) LP knows which stores are heading into bankruptcy... and contacts them to make a deal... you buy x amount of goods and we'll buy you out. Of course some sales guy at the manufacturer goes "Hey - that little dinky store just bought 100 Sunnto Computers! I'm going to Cozumel!"

It is flat out illegal in some state for companies to avoid liability for warranty service regardless of where the product was purchased if the defect is life threatening. I believe, in some states, that is it also illegal to do that when one company buys the assests of another company that is in bankruptcy.

2) I have heard they buy reconditioned products... just where these reconditioned products come from one cannot say.

By the way - the previous poster is right - companies do have complete control over their sales channels, you can sue the bejessus out of a company that has not sales agreements. Halcyon, Abyss, etc... have all done a great job at controlling their sales channels.

Allison Finch:
The software tends to have a conflict with Photoshop applications and Palm Pilot software, both of which I have.

We see this problem A LOT with the strangest applications - it happens very often... sometimes with PP and sometimes with Activesync with PocketPC's. It's funny - some software will have absolutely nothing to do with these ports or software but for SOME odd reason, they conflict.

BTW - I wrote up a pretty scathing review of Aeris's version 1.01 of their dive download software about a year ago on this board. I am happy to report that their new version fixes most of the major complaints about the software... athough Aeris - I now have some enhancement requests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom