Catalog sale warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
I think Tiny is right about car warranties but of course that does not apply to scuba equipment.

Again it's your gamble. Wanna save a hundred bucks? If you do then you are at the mercy of the place that sold it to you. I've learned the hard way myself in the past.

I support local dive shops these days. They usually can negotiate the price a little but they'll never match internet prices. But they are there for you and can help you with warranty or even do a little fixit right there on the spot. Something catalog shops can't and won't do.
Tiny is right, My brother and father work for Ford, as long as it is under the mileage and age limit, it's covered. Even extended warranties are transferrable to as is mine on my Bronco.

oversea:
I agree with this. It is manufactured by them, offer some service. They apparently were paid for it if you have it. If it does not work out of the box, offer some support, if it dies later, well I guess you are on your own. I am glad I got my smart com from a dealer as there was a recall last year. They even gave me full credit for my smart com so I could get the airz nitrox. I don't know what my point is because I have just supported both sides of the argument.
Suunto did help her with the software issue - it just won't honor the warranty (although LP will warrant the equipment and replace if necessary).

Regarding your SmartCom recall, to my knowledge, I have never seen a case in person, or related on this board, where a recall was not honored by the manufacturer regardless of place of purchase. Perhaps the only time it would not be honored is if it were actually a counterfeit piece of gear (which does not happen often in this industry - simply not a big enough market)

gj62:
Suunto did help her with the software issue - it just won't honor the warranty (although LP will warrant the equipment and replace if necessary).

Regarding your SmartCom recall, to my knowledge, I have never seen a case in person, or related on this board, where a recall was not honored by the manufacturer regardless of place of purchase. Perhaps the only time it would not be honored is if it were actually a counterfeit piece of gear (which does not happen often in this industry - simply not a big enough market)
My point was not so much the recall but the fact that I was credited for my unit to get another, had it been from leisure pro, that would'nt have happened. I am not bashing leisure pro at all, my regs came from them, saved me approv. 900.00
over my lds. Thats alot of money.

Oversea,

There is sooooo much fraud these days, that I can understand LiesurePro's stance on that.

BTW, I worked for Goodyear for 15 years. No matter who sold our tires we took care of any warranty situations. Until about 10 years ago, Goodyear only sold to stores that carried nothing but Goodyear tires. We had lots of tires "escape" the system and we were undersold every now and again (company stores should NOT get undersold). We would still rotate any goodyear tires for free and remind those who bought tires out of our store (like the dealership) that they had free warranties IF they serviced the tires properly.

Goodyear has had the best Quality Control record by almost a factor of ten. They don't allow the factories to sell their blems or seconds, and that has made QC an all important item to maintain profitability. When I was with them, I found that MOST conditions that made tires unuseable began with a simple nail, or a lack of maintenance. ALthough I never got to see the any of the "infamous" blow-outs from Firestone, I am sure that it was mostly an issue with the tire pressure being too low. That most of the blowouts occured in the RR tire supports this.

Bottom line... the manufacturer should stand behind their products irregardless of how they entered the market place. That they slandered a business (online or not) and made the end uer believe that the supplier was at fault when they have only dealt in good faith with the customer is unconscionable. There is no way for the manufacturer, dealer or online supplier to be able to anticipate any IO or software conflicts BEFORE the device is installed.

Lets face it... $100 bucks for that simple piece of wiring is ABSURD! It should be a $25 dollar item. But they have it and we want it so we pay through the nose for it. Furthermore there is hardly anything that can go wrong with the interface that would not be consider user inflicted (abuse) so I am not even sure why he is bringing this up... except that he's playing some sort of game.

NetDoc:
Oversea,

There is sooooo much fraud these days, that I can understand LiesurePro's stance on that.

BTW, I worked for Goodyear for 15 years. No matter who sold our tires we took care of any warranty situations. Until about 10 years ago, Goodyear only sold to stores that carried nothing but Goodyear tires. We had lots of tires "escape" the system and we were undersold every now and again (company stores should NOT get undersold). We would still rotate any goodyear tires for free and remind those who bought tires out of our store (like the dealership) that they had free warranties IF they serviced the tires properly.

Goodyear has had the best Quality Control record by almost a factor of ten. They don't allow the factories to sell their blems or seconds, and that has made QC an all important item to maintain profitability. When I was with them, I found that MOST conditions that made tires unuseable began with a simple nail, or a lack of maintenance. ALthough I never got to see the any of the "infamous" blow-outs from Firestone, I am sure that it was mostly an issue with the tire pressure being too low. That most of the blowouts occured in the RR tire supports this.

Bottom line... the manufacturer should stand behind their products irregardless of how they entered the market place. That they slandered a business (online or not) and made the end uer believe that the supplier was at fault when they have only dealt in good faith with the customer is unconscionable. There is no way for the manufacturer, dealer or online supplier to be able to anticipate any IO or software conflicts BEFORE the device is installed.

Lets face it... $100 bucks for that simple piece of wiring is ABSURD! It should be a $25 dollar item. But they have it and we want it so we pay through the nose for it. Furthermore there is hardly anything that can go wrong with the interface that would not be consider user inflicted (abuse) so I am not even sure why he is bringing this up... except that he's playing some sort of game.
Ford instructed the dealers (my dad and brother) to keep the pressures low as the exploeres and mountaineers had a tough ride. Lowering the pressure cushioned the ride a bit. But also caused a problem. The interesting thing is that firestone is a Ford family member and their tires are not not used.

Yes, they were low to begin with. Couple that with pressure variations due to the weather and those small leaks soon became BIG trouble. I saw somewhere that over %60 of tires are habitually underinflated. I know I can read it in the tire wear patterns (advanced wear on both outer edges). Tires should not be asked to compensate for poor engineering. :D BTW, we nick named them Ford "Exploders". :eyebrow:

That what they are called at the dealer along with:
Mercury Mistake
Ford Expire
Ford Tortis
Sad part is I think thats funny but will drive nothing else. I also tried for a while to get the firestone take offs but they were cutting them once removed. Firestones are good tires especially their drag slicks that are no longer available.

NetDoc:
Yes, they were low to begin with. Couple that with pressure variations due to the weather and those small leaks soon became BIG trouble. I saw somewhere that over %60 of tires are habitually underinflated. I know I can read it in the tire wear patterns (advanced wear on both outer edges). Tires should not be asked to compensate for poor engineering. :D BTW, we nick named them Ford "Exploders". :eyebrow:
Actually, as far as engineering is concerend, all of the Ford truck line has a harder ride then the other manufacturers. The suspension systems are much heavier. Now while that does not matter on an explorer, If I wanted a 1 ton truck, the Ford, for me is the only choice available.

garyfotodiver:
The real issue is this. If you buy something outside the official distribution channel, the distributor is under little obligation to you. He did not make one cent from your purchase. He received no money from the manufacturer or trade name holder to service your equipment.
Last time I checked it was a manufacturer's warrantee, not a distributors warrantee.

And no matter where you buy the manufacturer did make money on that sale.

Back
Top Bottom