Catalog sale warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allison Finch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to warn folks about a problem I had with equipment I bought from Leisure Pro. I bought a PC interface for my Mosquito dive computer. I had problems from the first time I used it. I finally contacted Suunto for tech support. When I asked if I could send it to them for them to troubleshoot, they asked where I bought it and that only the dive shop would be able to return it. I told them I had bought it from Leisure Pro. They then informed me that Leisure Pro is not a Suunto dealer and that they are selling their equipment illegally. As such, Suunto will not warrant anything purchased from them. They said that they have tried to find out the "source" for the items that Leisure Pro sells and can only find out that they are purchasing it from overseas. I had no idea....I paid 120.00 for the interface and now I'm high and dry for servicing. Thank God I didn't buy my computer from them too!! Just be careful what you buy if you are buying big ticket items like BC's and regulators.

We had a lady who is a customer at the dive shop I instruct for purchase a Mosquito from Leisure Pro. She had problems with it so she brought it into our shop. The tech made a phone call to Suunto and gave them the serial number. Whoops, gray market, not covered by warranty. She saved about 75 bucks going through Leisure Pro but now had no computer. Her efforts through Leisure Pro were less than rewarding and she eventually bought another one through the shop.

It's always tempting to purchase cheap online or through those catalogs but you'd better know who you're dealing with.

If paid by credit card, wouldn't something like this be covered by buyer protection? I mean a brand new item should work right? It's not like uncle gus found it in his basement after twenty years and sold to you on ebay.

First, LP clearly states warranty terms for their equipment. Second, before one can start credit card claims or any other form of mitigation, one must make a "good faith" effort to solve the problem with the seller.

Sounds like many people who bash LP want to have their cake and eat it, too.

garyfotodiver:
Sounds like many people who bash LP want to have their cake and eat it, too.

That is the heart of the matter. You spend more money at an LDS but that extra money is what allows them to cover the costs of providing local service and support.

If an item is covered under warranty, the LDS will make the long distance phone calls and troubleshoot/advocate for you with the company. Most shops will exchange the item on the spot if they have more in stock once the company has indicated they will replace it. Many shops will also provide a loaner if your equipment needs to be sent in for repair.

LP may provide great service by on-line standards but don't expect it to rise to the level of what can be provided by a local dive shop. And don't expect a local dive shop to do much for you and your online purchase if you have a problem.

Allison Finch:
I want to warn folks about a problem I had with equipment I bought from Leisure Pro. I bought a PC interface for my Mosquito dive computer. I had problems from the first time I used it. ...... Just be careful what you buy if you are buying big ticket items like BC's and regulators.

What you don't mention, and what I'm curious about, is what was LP's reaction when you contacted them about your problem. Hearing what they had to say would be very illuminating.

I had a problem with a computer through LP - they replaced it, no questions asked. I paid shipping back to them, but they picked it up coming back to me. That said, they did not send a new unit until they received mine. Other's I've done business with have sent the good before receiving my return - above and beyond the call of duty, I'd say.

Have you called LP to explain your problem?

LeisurePro issues aside, as I have and would in the future purchase thru them, the response from Suunto says alot about their customer service and integrity. After all, regardless of where you purchased the computer, it was still manufactured by them. Do they make "gray market" caliber products that are inferior to what they peddle directly? How can they tell by the serial # that a product is "gray market" but don't know who they sold it to originally? There are simply too many sources for online scuba gear for the manufactures to not have a hidden hand in things, even if it is limited to them not aggressively pursuing the secondary market. Try this for example: they allow their products to be sold in these secondary markets cheaper than their 'Authorized" sources with the understanding that they won't be burdened with warranty expenses. By not being forthcoming about this practice you could avoid alienating your current dealer base. We can't blame it on the mistaken belief that because this is "life support equipment" that only your LDS should sell it. If someone died using equipment purchased from LeisurePro that the manufacturer refused to service, would an American jury throw the liability case out of court? Could Suunto compete against companies like Aeris with out internet sales? Even though this may sound like the ranting of some conspiresy theory lunatic, look at Halcyon as proof of this. You can buy their gear online, but only from an authorized source, at a fixed price. Can someone find an online, discount source for Halcyon gear, besides used on Ebay? None to be had at LeisurePro, DiveInn, etc. Shows that a manufacturer can control the sales of their product if they have the will to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom