Catalog sale warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yknot:
Shows that a manufacturer can control the sales of their product if they have the will to do so.
It can get alot better, but it really can't get to complete "control", unless you are willing to drastic steps with market consequences.

Much of the grey market goods happen by a company going bankrupt, etc and dumping the goods. Not much a manufacturer can do there, other than agree to buy them back (not something that many will do). Also, some, not all, work through distributors in some areas. The distributors may sell to a company specifically set up to buy in bulk and "go out of business" to supply the grey market.

In smaller markets, such as Halcyon, this isn't really a big deal. But were Halcyon to become the size of SP, Suunto, etc, I doubt they'd be different.

Lastly, the one time when I have not seen the "valid warranty card" played by manufacturers is during a recall. At that time, if you have a piece of gear that is part of the recall, I have never heard of a manufacturer refusing to update/replace the equipment.

A serial number should tell the manufacturer when the product was built and maybe even who they originally sold it too. A duplicate serial number could indicate that some one is stamping their name on something that they didn't make at all.

If you buy a product from some one other than a dealer wouldn't the manufacturer be reasonable in considering it used and the warranty void?

I have a new Dodge that's still under full warrentee. If I sell it to you the vehicle is then used and you have no warrenty.

In that regard buying from LP is like buying used stuff. If LP warrenty the stuff great but I don't see where the manfacturer is obligated to since they have no way of knowing how many times the product has changed hands or what's been done with it.

I have no liking for the way the scuba business is put together but I don't see LP as a solution. I see them as just some smart folks who had the money and ability to take advantage of a lousy situation.

gj62:
It can get alot better, but it really can't get to complete "control", unless you are willing to drastic steps with market consequences.

Much of the grey market goods happen by a company going bankrupt, etc and dumping the goods. Not much a manufacturer can do there, other than agree to buy them back (not something that many will do). Also, some, not all, work through distributors in some areas. The distributors may sell to a company specifically set up to buy in bulk and "go out of business" to supply the grey market.

In smaller markets, such as Halcyon, this isn't really a big deal. But were Halcyon to become the size of SP, Suunto, etc, I doubt they'd be different.

Lastly, the one time when I have not seen the "valid warranty card" played by manufacturers is during a recall. At that time, if you have a piece of gear that is part of the recall, I have never heard of a manufacturer refusing to update/replace the equipment.

When I had a shop I was contacted by a number of people wanting to buy large quantities of product...especially Halcyon stuff.

I still have a bunch of inventory left from the shop that I wasn't able to sell so I contacted LP. Mostly what I have is a bunch of masks and fins and stuff like that. LP wasn't interested in that but told me that they would be interested in a batch of regs or bc's.

That's right from them so that shoots the theory that they get all their stuff from over seas distributors.

Suunto supports local dive shops. They work with local dive shops. You want to get the bulk discounts prices like LP offers then you get cheap without support. Well the only support you'll get is from LP, not from the manufacturer.

It's your gamble.

MikeFerrara:
If you buy a product from some one other than a dealer wouldn't the manufacturer be reasonable in considering it used and the warranty void?

I have a new Dodge that's still under full warrentee. If I sell it to you the vehicle is then used and you have no warrenty.

Bull. If you buy a used car that is still within the warranty period, the car dealer will honor the warranty no matter who you bought it from or how much you paid. (aftermarket extended warranties may vary.)

-Tiny-B.

I think Tiny is right about car warranties but of course that does not apply to scuba equipment.

Again it's your gamble. Wanna save a hundred bucks? If you do then you are at the mercy of the place that sold it to you. I've learned the hard way myself in the past.

I support local dive shops these days. They usually can negotiate the price a little but they'll never match internet prices. But they are there for you and can help you with warranty or even do a little fixit right there on the spot. Something catalog shops can't and won't do.

Perhaps some people misunderstand the "grey market" concept. In the photo business, grey market usually refers to merchandise purchased overseas and brought into the USA legally, albeit outside the official distributor's system. Check out www.helixphoto.com where you can purchase a Nikonos camera either with the North American warranty or with Helix's warranty. There is a price difference.

For all I know, Helix buys out other photo store's excess inventory. I doubt it, though.

The real issue is this. If you buy something outside the official distribution channel, the distributor is under little obligation to you. He did not make one cent from your purchase. He received no money from the manufacturer or trade name holder to service your equipment.

I purchased a regulator from LP. It came with manufacturer's North American warranty cards and paperwork. When I get it serviced, I still pay for labor. The parts kit may (or not) be free. Big deal.

To paraphrase Bill Shakespeare, "Methinks the diver doth protest too much."

Tiny Bubbles:
Bull. If you buy a used car that is still within the warranty period, the car dealer will honor the warranty no matter who you bought it from or how much you paid. (aftermarket extended warranties may vary.)

-Tiny-B.

I can't argue that cuz I don't know but many warraties specifically state that they're only valid for the original owner. If you buy from LP, they are the original owner not you.

Sounds like many people who bash LP want to have their cake and eat it, too.
WHAT!?! What I would like is to buy legal equipment from a reputable dealer! Preferably equipment that works. I will continue to buy small cheap items that have little chance of malfunction (mask, fins, knives etc). Items that are costly....I'm saving no money by buying illegally sold equip.

I have purchased items from LP Allison. But I won't purchase items that require a warranty such as electronics. I've learned my lesson.

Back
Top Bottom