catalina hotels????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang~

i want to take the wife to catalina in 2/05 for a nice weekend getaway.....
does anyone know a WONDERFUL hotel to stay at...one that is close to pretty much everything?? =) we want to dive at the underwater park, hike, eat....reeeeelax...

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks!

-dan

A friend of mine owns Seaport Village. It has some benefits for divers- rates are more reasonable than some of the other newer or cleaner hotels, they have a shuttle service that will take you to the park, and they have a hot jacuzzi for afterwards. Tell them Dr. Bill sent you... I don't get any kickbacks, but maybe they'll let me use their jacuzzi!

Prices tend to be high even on weekends in the off-season. Other hotels to try include the Pavilion Lodge, the Avalon Hotel (owned by a diver), or the Cloud 7 (up a hill). You can also get boat/hotel/dive packages from Scuba Luv or Catalina Divers Supply.

The Chamber of Commerce (310-510-1520) may be of some help, too.

Dr. Bill

Atwater Hotel is closed this time of year. Personally I don't recommend La Paloma based on experiences friends have had there. It isn't a bad place but a little tattered. Of course you could always go to the Hermosa Hotel (and get a t-shirt saying "I Survived the Hermosa Hotel") which is frequented by divers due to low rates. A friend of mine who was V.P. of The Cousteau Society used to like to stay there on his birthday... he felt it was a humorous experience.

Dr. Bill

deputydan1:
hey gang~

i want to take the wife to catalina in 2/05 for a nice weekend getaway.....
does anyone know a WONDERFUL hotel to stay at...one that is close to pretty much everything?? =) we want to dive at the underwater park, hike, eat....reeeeelax...

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks!

-dan

I've stayed in many, many places in Avalon. Some are more attractive for certian objectives than others.

A nice weekend getaway - I love the Zane Gray. A less dive-friendly hotel you'll be hard to find, with its zillion-stair street-level entry...but what a cool hang. Great view, out of town (sort of) and just a neat, neat place. If you're schlepping dive gear, forget about it. If you're renting it there, and can leave it with Scuba Luv or CDS, its perfect.

Cheap - the (R)atwater or the Hermosa. DrB may even be able to score you an "I survived the Hermosa" T-shirt. Both places in the center of town, cheap cheap and plenty of storage if you're schlepping gear.

Wow Factor - Snug Harbor inn. If you got cash to burn, the rooms are nice (by Avalon standards) and the accomodations sweet. I like the location, the private entrance, etc... its just crazy expensive.

Convienent, funky, cool - Hotel Metropole. Central to everything. A little pricy for most of my trips (I like to just flop - so I'm averse to paying big bux to sleep) but its more romantic than some of the other places, and kinda cool as its literally in the center of town.

My Fav - SeaPort Villiage. Its the closest to the park, they have a service to shuttle you and your gear to the park, the rooms are a little bigger than most, and there is ample storage. Get this: it has an elevator. A HUGE plus if you're lugging wet or heavy gear. The people there are great, and its almost always my first call. Its not the cheapest, but I believe its the best value. Its our first call when we are planning on staying on the Island.

DrB - too funny. all the times I've stayed there, I had no idea you had the "inside track" at my fav hotel.

---
Ken

PS: you knew I'd work in your t-shirt bit into this thread... I got your back, and remain forever grateful for an excellent line that just isn't tired, yet! :wink:

edit: As I'm posting this, you're scooping me with your own line... dang you!!

I don't think the remodeled rooms are that bad, but it is 3 stories, no elevator, with gear storage downstairs. I don't think they are open at this time of year, anyway.

Next time out, we are trying the Villa Portofino, but not in time to give a review.

kelpmermaid:
I don't think the remodeled rooms are that bad, but it is 3 stories, no elevator, with gear storage downstairs. I don't think they are open at this time of year, anyway.

Next time out, we are trying the Villa Portofino, but not in time to give a review.

The wet storage downstairs makes the (R)atwater a serious contender. So completely dive friendly. Its my first call when I'm there alone or with one of the guys. Arnaud and I stayed there in the Fall.

Been to Portofino. Nice. I think some of the rooms have little 'fridges...

---
Ken

wow! thanks for all that fellas~

actually, we don't mind spending some money on a NICE, PLUSH hotel.....we are only going to dive on one day....the rest of the weekend will be relaxing...

if price were no object, what is THEE NICEST hotel??? snug harbor?????

thanks!

-dan

If you really want the most spectacular, try the Inn on Mt. Ada (the former Wrigley home high on top the hill overlooking Avalon). Of course on weekends they are booked well in advance. After that I'd probably go with the Metropole or Snug Harbor (based on previous recommendations). Of course you must realize that living here for 35 years I've only spent two nights in local hotels and that was years ago! I'd value the recommendations of those who actually stayed in them.

Dr. Bill

dr. bill! your input is much appreciated! thanks for all the help....as well as the other buddies here......

i will look into either the Mt.Ada or Snug harbor...

-dan

Back
Top Bottom