Casio club-G watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're talking about ETA. A lot of the fake Rolex watches use an ETA automatic movement. You can spot a fake by the thickness of the case. Rolex makes their own movements and they are a lot thinner than the ETA movements.

ETA makes a good product though. Rado, Omega, Blancpain and Longenes have been manufactured with ETA automatic movements in the past.

With respect to quartz movements, the "Swatch Group" (which used to be called SMH) makes all their quartz movements "in house" for all their brands. They get put into the followng:

Tissot
Tag Heuer
Omega
Rado
Longenes
Certina
Mido
Hamilton
Flik Flak
Calvin Klein
and Swatch of course

The Swatch Group also owns Blancpain but there has never been a Blancpain with a quartz movment, that I know of. Blancpain has been produced with ETA movements however.

The watch world is known for its chaotic model changes and "random" marketing decisions. For example, the Rado DiaStar has had at least three different automatic movements in it, with varying numbers of jewels, over it's production run. The brochure sells the same watch, but this year's model might have different insides than last year's, based on corporate decision-making.

I guess I'm kind of jaded. I think anything with a quartz movement is a crappy watch. If you want to make an investment, buy a mechanical watch. An expensive quartz watch is a waste of money.

I beg to differ. I'll put my Citizen up to any swiss watch for a test of reliability over time.

Then I'd like to see a comparison of those criteria versus price and maintenance costs. I know how much an annual or semi-annual maintenance on a swiss watch goes for.

Swiss watches are pretty, have famous names, but Japanese movements steal the show.

I cannot respond to any posts after this. Going to Roatan Sunday! Sorry!

Take Care.

"Water resistant" usually does not suffice for scuba requirements.

You will probably end up flooding your watch.

NOT a good idea, if that is your only dive instrument.

You can get a really inexpensive air-only dive computer for a couple of hundred dollars. Or even cheaper, a bottom timer for less than $200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom