Suunto Ocean - inertial underwater 'navigation'!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it has a compass, but as far as I can tell from the manual you can't view it while in dive mode, only on land for use on a run/hike etc.

Here are the instructions for accessing the compass above water:

To use bearing navigation without exercising:
  1. Scroll to Map by swiping up or pressing the lower button from watch face.
  2. Press the lower button to open navigation options.
  3. Select Bearing navigation.
But in dive mode the lower button functions differently, and the touch screen is inactive.:

Button functions during scuba diving

Your Suunto Ocean has three buttons that have different functionalities when short pressing or long pressing them during the dive.
  • Upper button short press: Access gas switch menu (only in Multigas mode)
  • Upper button long press: Adjust brightness level (Low/Medium/High)
  • Middle button short press: Change arch
  • Lower button short press: Change switch window item
  • Lower button long press: Lock buttons

The touch screen is inactive when it is in contact with water. This means that underwater you have to use the buttons to navigate through displays.
It could also be a compass display based solely on its GPS sensors. Not uncommon.

It could also be a compass display based solely on its GPS sensors. Not uncommon.
If this was the case it wouldn't work in indoors when it doesn't have GPS lock. mine does fine in this instance.

I don’t think a lot of wearables have GPS-based compasses any more, do they? The very low cost of integrated IMUs with magnetometers has made that mostly obsolete (I think)

A response from Suunto "Compass during dive is under development and testing, but unfortunately I can't promise an exact release time at this moment."
So good news for me, as having no compass was just not an option :)

Anyone know if the Suunto Ocean will work for AI with existing Oceanic (and compatible) transmitters?

Anyone know if the Suunto Ocean will work for AI with existing Oceanic (and compatible) transmitters?
No, it will not

Got a chance to dive the Ocean yesterday and could not get the underwater route tracking to work. Made sure that I was green for GPS before the dive but still no dice. I think it may be the quarry i was in is some how slightly magnetic and throw things off or potentially it's too close to my other dive computer messing up the internal compass. Maybe I just need to calibrate the compass (the bane of electronic compasses). I don't know. If you're interested on seeing a video I did about it I've made another thread.

Suunto Ocean software version 2.36.18 provides a compass heading in dive mode.

Were you ever able to get the inernal navigation working? I was interested in the feature, but would love more info about it first.

Back
Top Bottom