Suunto Ocean - inertial underwater 'navigation'!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has to know direction of travel. Which could be gyro/accelerometer based but the unit itself needs to know how it's oriented somehow.
I'm guessing it has a significant pre-dive calibration time.

There's been certain amount of progress in IMUs lately... and the one in the video is just IMU, no compass.

Of course, a current would still be a problem, esp. if it changes mid-dive.

According to the manual, it’s based on:
GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer and pressure sensor
So it does have a compass, just not displaying the headings to the diver, which sucks.

My guess is that it uses IMU/magnetometer data, and then uses the exit GPS location to error-correct the course. If they got fancy, it might also use the pressure change readings as a source-of-truth comparison for the Z axis values from the IMU?

Gotta wonder what its battery life is like on a day of 2x2 drift dives.

1000109864.png

Yes it has a compass, but as far as I can tell from the manual you can't view it while in dive mode, only on land for use on a run/hike etc.

Here are the instructions for accessing the compass above water:

To use bearing navigation without exercising:
  1. Scroll to Map by swiping up or pressing the lower button from watch face.
  2. Press the lower button to open navigation options.
  3. Select Bearing navigation.
But in dive mode the lower button functions differently, and the touch screen is inactive.:

Button functions during scuba diving

Your Suunto Ocean has three buttons that have different functionalities when short pressing or long pressing them during the dive.
  • Upper button short press: Access gas switch menu (only in Multigas mode)
  • Upper button long press: Adjust brightness level (Low/Medium/High)
  • Middle button short press: Change arch
  • Lower button short press: Change switch window item
  • Lower button long press: Lock buttons

The touch screen is inactive when it is in contact with water. This means that underwater you have to use the buttons to navigate through displays.

At this price range, without a compass in dive mode, huge mistake.
Probably enabled in some future update.

I did a test dive with a loaner unit: looks very sleek and good quality build. Screen is awesome.

Just bought a Tern Tx for wife a few weeks ago, I must admit the Suunto looks by far more robust: the Saphire glass and metal case look indestructible compared to Tern's plasticky feeling and screen already scratched after a few dives. I know, just like the cellphone screen, after the first scratch you stop worrying about it. But it is there and it is annoying that gets scratches so easily.

My Suunto D6 (old model, now backup when traveling on vacations ) has saphire and metal build, for ten years of diving not a single scratch and I am not the type that keeps it in soft bag or treats delicately..

A compass would only work for route recording if was held in the same position relative to your heading for the whole dive,

Back
Top Bottom